Joseph's Safe Websites Project

Interesting. I’ve read many times that using a library makes something a derivative work, but it looks like that’s actually not true.

Sure, but it shouldn’t matter if the GPL or the AGPL was used. It would still be a derivative work that should be published under the GPL. If you published an app and someone made some changes to it and ran it through a javascript obfuscator, I think they would be legally required to publish a link to the unobfuscated code. That’s basically what the GPL is. If someone uses your code in some software and then compiles it, they supposed to give you access to the source code, at least if you ask them.

2 Likes

I agree. GPL and AGPL are the same on safe network, so there are no reasons to take little used AGPL license instead of more common GPL.

AGPL is last with only 1% usage in the break down of popular OSS licenses on Github:

Rank License % of projects
1 MIT 44.69%
2 Other 15.68%
3 GPLv2 12.96%
4 Apache 11.19%
5 GPLv3 8.88%
6 BSD 3-clause 4.53%
7 Unlicense 1.87%
8 BSD 2-clause 1.70%
9 LGPLv3 1.30%
10 AGPLv3 1.05%

(source here).

3 Likes

Update: Demoy, Chaty, Vidy, Listy and Feedy’s repos have been updated with the GPL v3 license instead of AGPL v3 because it is more familiar and AGPL provides no real advantages until code can run on the SAFE Network.

The SAFE API Overview has been updated with Creative Commons Attribution Share Alike 4.0

and I plan to start work on the Cryptography section soon but it looks complicated.

The options for the polls look like this at the moment:

• File Manager with ability to edit and publish websites in browser as well as view files like videos, music, pictures and text-based files.
  • Vidy updated to be a bit youtube-like comments, descriptions, thumbnails and search (if it is not too complicated maybe users and subscriptions).
  • Chaty updated with markdown support, file sharing and some vidy intergration.
  • Email with support for markdown, file sharing and some vidy intergration.

but I am still accepting suggestions. The polls will start soon after this is fixed and Vidy and Demoy should be uploaded soon afterwards. The polls will last for around a week and development shouldn’t take too long (hopefully) as I have been laying the groundwork for some of the options and I think a good chunk of work is done.

19 Likes

Small update: The SAFE API Overview has been updated with the cryptography and cipher opt section. It took longer than I would have liked as I was working on another project (which we might hear about soon) as well as my computer breaking, fortunately I was able to fix it and I am now running Solus Budgie instead of Windows.

I plan on migrating to the CEP for monetisation and will remove the bitaddress from the safe websites presently, but I am extremely grateful to everyone who supported me. I have a good idea of how this will work with the CEP but I am not fully sure just yet and will confirm once I can start development.

The options for the polls has one new potential entry, a github-like website although I have to see how it could work or if it would be easier to add later to the file manager. Again until the poll are opened I am still accepting suggestions. That’s all for now hopefully won’t be too long for the next update.

13 Likes

Hi, I slightly checked this project and they seem to be great for current tests, but I would like know more about use in future.
Will be possible to have kind of websites like amazon, bet365, youtube?
What will be there limit with this technology ?

1 Like

I think there maybe some limiting factors, one potentially big one in the case of one your examples YouTube would be indexing. Indexing is sorting out data so it can be searched, YouTube has custom servers (trusted computers) which process the data (title, description, comments, what you watched/searched before and maybe even the video itself) so the video you want comes up quickly. There are some workarounds I can think of to achieve a fairly decent/comparable search/indexer on the safe network, though it would probably a lot of complex and specific code especially if you only use non trusted computers, though that could change when the computation is operational on the network itself. In any case at this stage something like that doesn’t matter and vidy (hopefully will be released soon, one bug left I think) doesn’t need a search function yet because there is not that many videos on it.

3 Likes

Update: The latest version of Peruse 0.4.1 now supports arrayBuffers . This means uploading files works on the browsers again and Vidy has been uploaded to Alpha 2 (special thanks to @hunterlester for helping me with a bug in my code ) as well as Demoy being updated to be made compatible with Alpha 2 on github.

This also means that I continue to make more safe websites that can upload files and will soon put up a new poll for safe websites for the community to vote on (hopefully sometime this week) which will then be made into a CEP proposal, though I still need to clear up a few things about the CEP on my end before I get everything set up.

A brief overview of the options:

• File Manager: upload, view and edit files in browser, publish websites with listy and vidy intergration.

• Vidy 2.0*: An overhauled version of vidy with comments, thumbnails, users, subscriptions and possibly basic search.

• Email: Support for markdown, files and having an re/topic where you view a discussion and maybe encryption (still new territory).

*Vidy and Vidy 2.0 would be separate, as Vidy 2.0 requires more complex code which means it is less accessible to new developers compared with the current Vidy which still shows a lot of useful features.

There has already been some work done on the options particularly on the File Manager option already so there doesn’t have to be too much time spent waiting (hopefully), though there may still be bugs with the browser which could halt development.

If you have any suggestions for safe websites to add to the poll, feel free to let me know.

11 Likes

The example email app from maidsafe.net could definitely use some love. Last time I tried it there were no automatic copies of emails in a ‘sent’ folder. Probably a lot of passers by who try it might be expecting more “bells and whistles” comparable to gmail or other current offerings. Other than Peruse, it would seem that email would be the next most important thing for the layman. A more complete offering would stand up well to a comparison with firefox and thunderbird. What do we call ours though… Peruse and Schmooze? :slight_smile:

Edit: I suppose to keep the optics right some alternative spelling of Schmooze might be more compelling. Something like “Shmuse”, and then find a cute algorithm.
(“Securely Hashed Mail Using SAFE Environment” ?)

9 Likes

Is the site up right now? I can’t get to it.

1 Like

Yep, although that was an old link for one of the testnets. Here is the link for Alpha 2 safe://chaty and this is topic for any updates for Chaty though I don’t plan to do anything else with it other than make sure its compatible with the latest version of the network.

3 Likes