How would video conferencing work?

For voip and (one to one at least) gaming etc. al the network will do is connection establishment for the nodes. So these will be direct udp connections and as fast as they can be.

The details to be worked out are,
1: Should the network fully encrypt such traffic or leave to app devs to do that. In any case this part is pretty straight forward.
2: For multi user voip and gaming etc. we need to supply decentralised serverless capability. It can be crudely done for a few users, but not in a scalable way (so I don’t like it :slight_smile: ). This can take a few forms though and in this case I feel we will have to provide network level API’s to allow negotiation and decentralised compute as well as multi session udp establishment (for speed).

The latter part may still use rudp (or Crux rudp2) with the ability to lose frames (for video, voice etc. this is fine) but maintain the connections via the current keep-alive (pseudo tcp connection oriented approach).

So there is work to be done there for sure, but I think when we launch and many more see how we have done what we do then the games programmers etc. will get the aha moment and answer much of this for us.

7 Likes