:safe: Happy 7th anniversary MAID! :safe:

Hey friends,

today April 22, 2021 marks the 7th anniversary of the creation of MAID and I want to congratulate @dirvine and the whole @maidsafe Team for the amazing journey which we have experienced together so far!

I am sure that the next 7 years will be even more exciting, probably even more difficult, but the important thing is that our community is stronger than ever and together we will deal with every obstacle!

:love:

I think this will be a good opportunity for us to organize an online community meeting. What do you think?

Privacy. Security. Freedom

24 Likes

Only seven years. Feels like longer. Here’s to the the next seven years. Hopefully in seven years the network will be viral and owning your data will be the norm.

11 Likes

in perspective…bitcoin is there for more than 10 years, and the only thing it can do is transfer some numbers with 5 tps or so…

Eth/defi sounds big nowadays, but what does it actually do? It’s just creating other coins and transferring / trading or staking them

So not bad at all if we get a full decentralized internet with payments, and more…

12 Likes

Getting it right matters… took 10 years to develop Ethernet - just reading from https://www.hpe.com/us/en/insights/articles/the-birth-and-rise-of-ethernet-a-history-1706.html

Safe Network is not an altcoin - it’s obviously closer to Internet v2
Always good to be reminded of how huge the ambition is.
Even a sliver of this will do wonders.

back on topic - time is incidental… the milestones and foot falls matter more.

13 Likes

Something that I’ve only just realised is the absolutely staggering leverage developers will gain by developing on Safe Network.

I had already appreciated some big gains, such as the ability to scale a website or application to any degree with zero infrastructure costs. That alone has massive implications, including turning the financial models for business upside down, and of course decentralising power and blowing the doors off innovation.

But it took me starting to build Git Portal to appreciate that this network is going to be much more than a way to scale with economics built in that people have been dreaming of for decades but has not yet materialised.

So what’s this big new realisation? Well look, here I am just one moderately skilled coder and I’m attempting to build an alternative to GitHub, had a proof of concept running in less than a month and all but complete in two. How is this possible?

It’s possible because Safe provides me with not just a ready made scalable platform, but the option of avoiding all the complicated bits that have put me off attempting this for years.

A few years ago I looked inside SSB-Git and recoiled in horror at the prospect of figuring out how git works under the hood and integrating that into a decentralised protocol as they had done.

Now we see Radicle building a decentralised git system. They have a large team because they’re doing that and more - building a decentralised protocol that fits git like a glove, as well as expending git’s capabilities in the way I’m doing for Git Portal (adding issues, PRs, social etc). It may well be effective but we know how hard it is to build those protocols! And there’s a cost which has to be paid for somehow.

I never stuck with SSB (Scuttlebutt) whenever I tried it because it just doesn’t work for me, taking forever to update and using enormous bandwidth and storage for a single social app.

So what’s different about Git Portal? In not using the protocols, just the peer-to-peer storage that sits on top of them. This has reduced the work needed enormously. No protocols to design, write, or even to interface with. And I don’t even need to interface with the storage much, because a consequence of having a standard storage API is that I can put Git Portal together from existing git libraries that already sit on a storage API.

There’s still a lot of code to write, and I have had to figure out a way to glue it all together, but it’s probably between one and five percent of the work needed to build something identical in functionality that uses its own protocol.

The same will be true for many apps now that we don’t just have the data types, but local first CRDT types, as well as the option of just using a filesystem (device or in-browser). Others can use the work I’ve done and have even less work to do.

This is going to be a massive incentive for anyone building things that can take advantage of those development economies.

38 Likes

This was always one of the selling points for me. Building the inherent functionality into the network takes time but the pay off comes when the network is released for all the points you mentioned.

It’s one of the reasons I ve always felt confident that upon completion the safe network would become widely adopted.

12 Likes

It sounds like a ripe recipe for killer apps that will sell the safe network by themselves.

I was thinking about a web app to track asset transfers and it could be trivially easy compared to using a blockchain. Moreover, adding a CLI or mobile app would be trivial, given the Safe Network would do doing so much heavy lifting.

It really will be a unique proposition. It is easy to get blasé about it, but I think it is because we have been so close to the concept for so long.

Roll on test net!

9 Likes

I wonder… wasm + safe network storage = distributed computing. A small step away with only a browser needed and no server side infrastructure.

5 Likes

This is sort of related:

I was Dockerizing the service when I realized, “why can’t I compile my Rust microservice into WASM and run it as-is over my infrastructure as if it was a serverless function?” It was then when I started researching the use of WASM in serverless environments.

4 Likes

Yes, let’s do it!

1 Like

I’m not very familiar with online meetings. Do you know if Zoom is suitable for this?

I have no idea, I’ve never had a video meeting with many people at once.

Zoom is probably worth a test, I think I’ve seen in videos that people use it for big meetings with over 10 participants.

If there are too many people it could be split up into several smaller meetings. Might be nice to do that either way if there are many people since realistically only one person can talk at a time.

1 Like

Not too true. Since we’re all crdt aware we only need to maintain causal order! :rofl:

1 Like

I was pondering why Safe Network will be great for app devs and great for users as a result. I figured there must be a common theme, which would help us define what apps would benefit the most from the new platform.

The more thought I gave to it, the more it became obvious. It isn’t limited to traditional user apps either - it relates to any business logic that runs somewhere.

What is the common thread - integrated data storage. This may sound like stating the obvious, considering it is a big part of what makes Safe Network a compelling technology. This is true, but it is the relationship between the users, their apps and their data that is important and an area where the network.

So, why is this user/app/data relationship so important? Widening the gap between each increases complexity, reduces usability and increases costs.

Consider the modern web application. It will have a client, which usually runs in a a web browser. These apps use the user’s computer resource to execute the app, which distributes resource requirements. Usually, there is a web service as a back end too, which is centralised and needs to be maintained. This is where the user’s and app data lives and presents a target for hackers.

Then consider a smart contract, running on its own blockchain. Data storage on chain is not feasible, due to the high costs. Integrating with external services may cause centralisation. It may cause complexity too. There are also security considerations to how to access these external services (where are credentials stored, etc?).

It seems clear to me that users want to keep their data safe and under their control. Devs want to reduce complexity. Both parties want to reduce costs. Safe Network apps achieve all of these goals.

Practical examples on Safe Network:

• Office, CRM, chat, email, forums, etc, can be ran entirely within a browser, distributing load, with data storage handled by the network. It is trivial to keep the user’s data safe (it is the default), while shared data is easy to persist. There is no infrastructure to maintain and the devs don’t have to maintain both client and server apps, reducing complexity and costs.
  • Blockchains becomes just another data storage pattern - a ledger, a rule based append only data structure. Apps can create as many or as few as they like. They can also write to any that exist, including those created by other apps. The shared data pool that the network enables vastly simplifies cross ledger data exchange.
  • Databases in general become cross-application by default. Sharing public data between apps, while restricting personal data becomes trivial at the storage level. Service layers and backends are not needed and the endless REST APIs become superfluous.

Ofc, there are challenges. In a similar way to the censorship argument, filtering this data becomes key. If anyone can append data, validating what is junk/invalid requires effort. Indexing apps to ignore bad data will become very useful. Client apps may do this themselves to distribute the load too.

I believe these benefits will become difficult to ignore as time goes on. A single killer app will pave the way for others, as people will have downloaded the browser/client libs, etc. Each one of these will build on the network effect, with apps exchanging data more easily than ever before, in a virtuous loop.

22 Likes

Well explained @Traktion. When you put this together with the benefits of a secure, truly decentralised infrastructure (privacy baked in, surveillance free, uncensorable) plus scaling without cost, it’s a staggeringly good proposition.

It also turns the VC based and centralising business models upside down by putting the ability to develop even planetary scale applications and services in the hands of individuals and independent groups. :tada:

15 Likes

Nice post @Traktion . However, I disagree on this point. The network reward system is what maintains the infrastructure by stimulating node operators, core devs, app devs, and content providers to maximize network growth. Everyone plays a role in ensuring growth, which ensures the infrastructure is sustainable/perpetual.

5 Likes

What’s being said is that from the point of view of developers and service providers they can forget about providing infrastructure. That is a massive bonus on top of everything else, so it’s important to get this across.

It’ll take a while for people to appreciate all this and how big a deal it is - I’m proof of that! :wink:

10 Likes

Yes, exactly! Given users may pay a little directly to the network for storage, the devs wouldn’t have to worry about that directly - they would no longer be a middleman. Ofc, they wouldn’t want their app to be wasteful and expensive to use, but that should serve as an incentive to be efficient.

It feels like apps become more like tools to shape data. Data becomes more like the raw material the user is shaping.

To reflect the analogy above, we may buy a saw to work on some wood we already have. Later, we may buy some more wood if we need it. Maybe we then want a spirit level. We still own the tools and the wood we have crafted at the end.

While we have grown accustomed to combining the two with web apps, the reverse is quite natural too. Indeed, we still buy local storage devices for storing our data.

It will be interesting to see how people react. As long as data costs are reasonable, I can see people understanding the benefits, in a similar way to local storage.

4 Likes

@happybeing @Traktion both of your posts on the benefits of Safe Network could probably qualify as micro blogs. Great content imo and I’d love to see more of it.
I wonder if @frabrunelle would be willing to post the text to the Safe Network medium channel? If not from there then maybe a community member could post to medium linking to the forum. Of course can always just share the post directly. Just a suggestion.

4 Likes

We should also recognise the value of convenience to users. To begin the will be a hurdle: getting aboard the Safe Network.

But once people are aboard there’s a big benefit to users in no longer having to deal with questions like where their data is stored, whether it can be relied on, what the cost of this option or another is, difficulties when prices rise or services become unreliable (censored, closed down, terms changed etc).

With Safe this all disappears. The user knows where their data is, what it costs, can forget about it once it is stored and know it is Safe forever and with every new app this becomes invisible. No need to worry about any of this because their storage is just there as always in Safe. No new sign ups, no new terms and conditions, no spam, no new login to keep track of etc. It’s just them and the network.

11 Likes