Fleming Testnet v1 Release - *NOW OFFLINE IN PREPARATION FOR TESTNET V2*

I managed to pull the safe-the-planet image :smiley:

Right now it seems the network doesn’t need my node, but, this is a huge day !!
Congratulations to the whole team and enthusiasts for this achievement :cake:
Also the instructions for testing are quite clear and easy to follow.

12 Likes

@ To all the happy running node(s) users :
would you mind check CPU usage please ?

No one from the team answer your many questions about network speed :thinking:

1 Like

They are all lying down from too much alcohol. Give them some space. If everything was perfect there wouldn’t need to be another testnet. We have been told there will be a few, each one improving on the prior one.

1 Like

It’s also been communicated many times that this is not optimized for performance, and the work in that will come later.

It’s nothing to be concerned about.

And remember this is a P2P network, so even small performance inefficiencies multiply up quickly, and so too will code optimizations multiply in the other direction. So you can predict significant jumps in performance once work begins on that.

20 Likes

An update on the problem of bad elder list I mentioned yesterday.

Today I observed:

• section “01” with a bad list
  • section “1” with a bad list (but different from yesterday)
  • section “1” with a bad list (but different from above and from yesterday)

To recap the elder lists are normally:

• "00": "071af364","08f1356d","21723a03","22d760d6","2a4277e1","2c83dc26","2d266473"
  • "01": "41ed3b6d","59a171ac","6a9f36b9","6efa2333","72289ca2","75a92c1c","7f0493b4"
  • "1" : "a76176f7","b89ce263","ca246c30","cff01916","d3e291f6","dc0ddac0","e01b9f2a"

And bad elder lists I came across temporarily:

• "1" : "093e11de","1b5ced41","676222fb","73e7c2fe","77f5e7fa","8a62d444","e78803e9"
  • "01" : "13de5d66","4b4a6d7c","5356d14c","826730a2","8fdd2d7d","e770651e","eae36559"
  • "1" : "5009ce4a","7b28ea74","84a5c62d","9b08e8f4","b98cded0","e90d12a7","f316b541"
  • "1" : "05f95e1e","24876352","280e39fb","2dcd8783","45ff4507","833672a1","d64d6210"

Note also that each bad list contains some nodes that don’t even match the section prefix.

Or is it that a client doesn’t have the real vision of sections, prefixes and elders? But then why call them the same?

Another thing that bothers me is that section “1” has only 7 elders. Shouldn’t it have more because this section hasn’t split yet, contrary to “00” + “01” that were split from “0”?

7 Likes

:sweat_smile: I was just thinking ‘people are sad that the network is not being spammed fast enough with data so they can participate - but still transactions are faster than every 10 minutes’… In blockchains realm you would want to slow down and reduce block sizes for as many people as possible to get involved…

… when I remember my first bitcoin transaction and the (horrible long long) long wait to see if it finally would make it through (it took about an hour) this first network is blazingly fast and awesome to see! (I didn’t know about blockchain explorers and stuff so I just saw “it’s gone”… )

… And transactions are such a small part of safe… Data can be up and downloaded at will and is owned by the uploader and Nobody else :face_with_monocle: :upside_down_face:

16 Likes

PoW is centralising because those with more money/resources can dominate uptake. @ptv walls through this in his thoughtful post above. A quick run through of obvious techniques all fall down as he demonstrated.

As I’ve said, I see this as a hard problem and don’t have a solution. I put one idea forward, but I’m not sure it’s feasible or if it would achieve the goal. The more I think about that the less elegant it seems, but that’s not necessarily a reason to stop.

In the mean time @dirvine has posted that they plan to just let all nodes join once they can be prevented from becoming elders. That seems to have good points and bad points.

Letting everyone in means everyone gets a chance to earn and I believe would make it unprofitable to try and swamp the network because: 1) rewards will be spread thin and it might make this unprofitable quite quickly, and 2) the only incentive is profit from rewards as you can’t easily take over a section this way. Actually, as I write both points I’m not sure they are true, however.

On the other hand, if these new nodes can’t be elders and everyone joins a section you soon run out of elders, so maybe there’s detail here still to be explained or worked out.

Anyway it’s good that we and MaidSafe are on this. It’s one of the crucial details that we seem still not to have worked out, or at least don’t yet understand outside MaidSafe.

1 Like

Looks like my node is zombie again :frowning:
Can anyone look what is happening?
May bug appear because of high utilization of my internet channel and therefore UDP packet drops?
sn_node.log

upd. After 2 hours of doing nothing, chunks starts to appear.

1 Like

I’m in :smiley:

[sn_node] INFO 2021-04-10T12:17:37.062219564+02:00 [src/node/handle.rs:36] Handling NodeDuty: SendToNodes [ targets:…

7 Likes

Is there a limit on file sizes?.. do you want we throw data at it as much as possible… or are we still being gentle with it?

1 Like

Large file upload will just last forever (if your PC not hangs because of low RAM).
Because of little amount of optimization for this testnet.
More than 500 MB → no sense trying.
Maybe 100 MB will be fine, but not sure.

2 Likes

I tried a 1GB file over night and woke up to some errors.

The network taking in new nodes does not necessarily mean that here has been a split right?
I am still waiting to see a reward.

If we update the node, I assume I lose my spot and need to rejoin?
(Don’t want to do that until I get a reward)

Can we see our age somehow?

3 Likes

IM IN!!! :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face: :partying_face:

edit: some errors there, don’t know what they mean. Let me know if you want me to send you my logs.

12 Likes

sn_node 0-0,3%
sn_authd 7-10% (yesterday was 2-3%, no changes, uptime maybe 15hours)

I am not using dowloaded binary. It is compiled from source.
OrangePi PC, 64bit Armbian 21.02.3 Bionic with Linux 5.10.21-sunxi

5 Likes

I have chunks!!!

and logs look better, no errors.

:white_check_mark: Downloaded file from safenet.
:white_check_mark: Uploaded file from computer.
:white_check_mark: Created a SAFE Vault and started to host network data chunks,
:white_check_mark: Created key pair and test safecoins.
:white_check_mark: … token current price at or above EUR 1.00

Just amazing!!!

This should be front page news on every online crypto publication and forum - it just works. It does what it says on the tin. … and it does more in its test net form than many projects out there!!!

28 Likes

Chunk envy :disappointed: I can’t even create a safe at the moment

9 Likes

Since looking at empty log for running node may be confusing, I propose to add statistics to log periodicaly (every 10 minutes or hour): what is the state of network (as node sees it), what is the state of node, how many chunks are stored, how many requests are processed, what nodes are connected to your node etc.

3 Likes

You should be able to succeed by placing e.g. a clean Ubuntu 18.04 install in the DMZ of your router. If your router is not the issue, then just using a clean machine should work. I would definitely delete .safe/ directory and try over from scratch, rather than trying to fix things.

The only issue I have encountered is remaining “state” in the network, even after deletion of everything on the local machine.
For instance, when creating a new node/vault each time, I had to use new passphrase password combinations.

1 Like

Yes I’ve done that. Pretty sure it’s not my router because I succeeded once, but it could be some crap on this machine. I was planning to rent a Hetzner VM again so I can leave it running.

1 Like