Farming maid and turn off node

hey, if I start own node (meaning store data on final network) on my own personal pc, then I must be live 24/7? Or if I regulary turn off computer at night and start in the morning, is even possible? thx

2 Likes

It’s best to think this way

-Node running → earns SNT
-Node off → does not earn

8 Likes

Possible, but will cost you more in bandwidth because every time you restart, your node will have to start with zero data and download chunks without reward.

It will be eligible to earn immediately though.

9 Likes

Yeah I wouldn’t let it hold you back.

We are designing this thing for everyday devices, not data centres and mining warehouses.

So why not? If that pattern works for you then no problem, the Network can handle it?

But ion the other hand, offering you space resources to other people via the Network, while you are asleep and not using them, is another way t think about it.

9 Likes

it was first idea, because not sure if normal personal pc is ready for 24/7 turn on…

I know its probably very hard to say, but for imagine, if I would provide lets say 250gb space, and this space will be consumed, how many maid I will get? 1 or 500, or 5000?.. thx

1 Like

First thing to note, it won’t be MAID, it will be Safe Network Tokens. Minor aside.

But at the moment, there is no way to know… it’s all down to the dynamics of supply and demand of the Network at any given time.

Best to just think about it as putting your spare resources to work, and see where it takes you.

12 Likes

:laughing:

I never turn mine off! Current uptime is about three months without restart. :wink:

5 Likes

btw maybe it would be cool if I could start node from android, but easily. But dont know what will happen if at sometime signal go to edge for short time.

2 Likes

That is why you place a Raspberry pi under the table, run a node and forget about. It will just keep on running and if i get my wish through, there will be an app that sends you a notice if it ever goes down. But most people don’t need to run a node, they can just buy SNT for the space they need to use.

2 Likes

There are many ways to remotely monitor if computer is running.

To monitor it without the need to actively look at a monitoring tool? Because one of the worst thing for me mining Ethereum was having to look everyday if it still was running.

1 Like

I think many people just puts their computers to sleep nowadays. That means node would not lose its address/data/keys. I wonder how the node would behave after going back online. Has anybody done this during testnets?

3 Likes

That’s a good point. After some unknown time the node will I think be dropped from routing tables but maybe it can slot right back in, idk?

4 Likes

The nodes key is in RAM so when it restarts it will create new keys. So for now and likely forever they are new nodes on.a restart. Sounds inefficient, but I doubt that the cost/benefit analysis of security makes it worthwhile to always restart fresh.

With sybil resistance turned on then the treat will be folk, selling keys or having them stolen, but the restart fresh is a v simple protection against these things.

6 Likes

Most tool have options to send emails or other form of notification on set events.

S1 sleep keeps RAM powered on
S3 sleep (hibernation) stores RAM content do disk
In both cases RAM content is kept unchanged so the keys shouldn’t be lost.

10 Likes

And just remember, we have a much simple network now that really is just commodity devices.

Node age is no more. A fresh node has just the same potential as one that has significant uptime.

Just put your spare resources to work, and don’t worry.

16 Likes

Is it to be understood that every time the computer is turned off, the data will be permanently deleted from it?

I asked this a long time ago in the safedev forum, but I guess I did not ask very precisely and therefore my knowledge is causing uncertainty, because I thought that turning off the computer does not mean deleting the data, but only making it temporarily unavailable.

So I understand correctly - all data stored on the network will have several redundant copies, so is there such a possibility that all copies will be deleted at the same time due to chance (e.g. power failure and lack of UPS) and there will be no possibility to replicate the original files?

2 Likes

Probabilistically yes. However, it’s also probably you create a btc wallet that is actually Satoshi’s. The key is to make such event unfeasible but they can never be absolute.

/rant
I think humans interface with computers and math makes us believe some things are absolute or deterministic outwith the realm of our own constructs, but the reality is everything is probabilistic.
/rant over :smiley:

8 Likes

I understand that the probability of deleting all copies is negligible, but still possible?

In this case, what happens if critical data disappears from the network?

3 Likes

If data disappears from every known place, then it’s gone. There is no other way to say this.

However, that means

• There was a catastrophic event
  • There are no copies, no archves, no local copies and so on.
4 Likes