Discussion: safe: or safe:// protocol versus .safenet domain

Regarding ( safe:// ) VS ( .safenet )

Web browsers have evolved into digital vehicles. They have a variety of features, and customize in every detail to give the best user experience.

This site shows the most popular browsers (vehicles) today. Obviously, Chrome is #1 at 37%.

Networks like: clear net, dark net, and soon to be SAFE Network… are travel locations in the digital universe. There will be many curious people traveling to the SAFE Network.

What happens when tell people to exit their favorite Chrome car and use our SAFE car to travel inside SAFE? Some will, some won’t, and others will wait until a friend or relative convinces them. Like it or not this is a barrier to entry.

I hope we seriously consider what we’re asking. It’s not a big ask for early adopters. But total strangers are a different story. I am in favor of using ( safe:// ), which is my “personal” preference. But there are limitations fishing in a smaller pond compared to the open ocean. Hopefully we can grow our pond into a lake and eventually become the new ocean but right now, it’s just a pond.

Regarding the SAFE Browser

Assuming we successfully create our own exclusive browser ( safe:// ) or non-exclusive browser ( .safenet ) have we considered long term questions?

• Who and how will the SAFE browser be supported and funded after initial release?
  • Can it compete against other browsers that have spent years polishing?
  • Will it offer a complete experience or is it just for limited use on the SAFE Network?

EDIT : @joshuef has some answers here.

If the SAFE Network is as good as we hope, other browsers will adopt the ( safe:// ) protocol but I think we would have to be super amazing awesome before that happens anytime soon.

TL;DR
My advice… get it done as cheaply and easily as possible with minimal consumer effort to transition. Otherwise, we might bite off more than we can chew and end up choking. If the Network does really well, we will evolve!

4 Likes