Dev Update week beginning :safe: 24 november 2014

Not if the company remains in the EU, no. I should clarify though that not all EU countries have implemented the Data Retention Directive, and it was recently struck down as illegal by the courts. The UK has been very clear it intends to ignore that ruling. Here in Ireland we never implemented it in the first place, and indeed here we don’t even have a government service capable of taking over servers (lack of technical capacity, there are like two people in the whole police service capable, and we know their names :slight_smile: ).

Relative to other risks I think this one isn’t worth considering at the time. It’s only a problem once everyone considers SAFE to be a problem. When I hear SAFE on the morning BBC news to the ruling elite, then it’s time to start worrying.

We need to retain the ability to push software updates especially in the early days, but end users can always disable it. Again, relative to risk I wouldn’t worry about it. There are far, far bigger targets than MaidSafe e.g. imagine the Linux kernel getting code introduced into it.

All open source code is only as strong as the eyeballs watching it. For example, look at OpenSSL and that (ongoing) travesty of the commons.

So long as the UK keeps the EU Human Rights Legislation (they are trying to opt out), the government cannot compel behaviour which would have material effects, so in other words they cannot get us to continue working on the codebase.

Hence any such takeover would be accompanied by all us going suddenly quiet. Well, except for me, I live in Ireland and I am not employed by MaidSafe, rather my consulting company is. I am therefore bound by Irish law, and British gag orders don’t affect me. Moreover, my government has a very hostile response to any British government trying to impose itself over here :), and of course Ireland is not part of the “5 Eyes” security alliance.

There are therefore plenty of canaries, just they are of the obvious kind rather than images which change colour or flip over quietly etc.

Agreed. This is all very remote risk stuff. It’s much easier for the government to tap you without ever appearing to do so. Then we don’t know, and therefore don’t get spooked.

And as the Assange thing shows, just because they have the powers in the UK doesn’t mean they use them. We trust our government to not use their powers, and almost always they don’t.

Niall

5 Likes