Can I share files with users who are outside safenet?

Hi everyone,

I am glad that I found safenet, and I would like to know if I can share the uploaded files with public users.
does the receiver should install safenet client app to download the files?
Does the bandwidth limited to a centralized point or its unlimited based on decentralized network?

2 Likes

The person you share a file with will need to have some kind of SAFE client. Currently this is SAFE Browser, but other clients may emerge.

Bandwidth is not limited by any central point, but your local Internet connection. Across the network, capacity will increase as the network grows, so capacity automatically scales with use.

6 Likes

Thank you for your quick response, this make sense, so the more nodes we have the more chunks will spread across the network. what is the chance of getting my uploaded files lost or damage?

1 Like

Should be as close to infeasable as we can make it. Nodes would have to go off line very fast in huge numbers and never come back on line at least. We could lose several continents at once and be OK, so the numbers are very high for nodes to go off line forever and cause lost files.

12 Likes

In other words you would be much more likely to lose track of where you stored your file on SAFE than for SAFE to lose any of one file.

Just think where you stored that file from 7 years ago :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It’s actually a great question you raise in terms of marketing also and should be thought about by the guys in the big marketing threads.

2 Likes

It seems to be the first question that pops into people’s heads. So it needs a solid answer. Is there a way of comparing the risk to the chance of dropbox losing my files?

1 Like

Do a search on google for dropbox losing files. From memory they lost a server (farm) in the past and people’s files that were on that one. Google regularly loses a segment of the email storage, obviously (google) search rarely brings up results for that. How regular I am not sure but from time to time we hear about it and usually only the larger losses.

In any case look at the NZ guy (Dot Com) where the USA decided he was breaking some massive law of theirs and got the whole download site taken down.

2 Likes

The concept of being outside of safenet is nebulous. You are no more outside of safe net than you are BitTorrent, Skype or even the WWW - you just need a client to handle your requests.

4 Likes

Thank you all for your kindness support,
some other question and I hope to help me understand if its possible with safenet,

let us say I stored mp4 file on safenet, can I stream and playback this MP4 file directly without downloading it (using a safeclient)
like webtorrent for example, where you can playback video torrent file,
when I upload a file and spread across the network as bits(chunks), does those bits are encrypted? or no need to encrypt them as they are useless without the remaining 99.99%.

are you saying safenet protocol is efficiency as UDP BitTorrent ?

People have been doing it in the testnets already. There is even a video streaming. (no sorry I don’t have the safe link). But there is a list of sites in Community

These are done in the browser just like say youtube

Yes, and there is/was plans to have the chunk encrypted again so the vault owner cannot match the self encrypted chunk with anything. You see its possible to self encrypt a file (no storing) then check your vault for any matches, thus you can detect segments of files in your own vault. A security problem otherwise.

3 Likes

Yes thats possible and only depends on your app, like browser or streaming app. Streaming is basically downloading without waiting until it is finished before playing it.
For your logged in client the data does not look shredded, but whole like on a disk.

The chunks are hashed with each other, not sure if that necessarily means encrypted. But yes, you shouldn’t be able to determin any other chunk anyways → you shouldnt be able to put any file together.

The safenet should be more efficient/responsive.

\edit
tsss superspeed neo :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Wow that’s sound very promising, I really appreciate this. as a noob, now I believe in Safenet looking forward to see chrome supporting this amazing tech.

Edited: as a client user, do I have to do un-encryption to read the file on my device or will be done by the hosts ?

rand_om, I am really happy for being here, this is a strong community project… it’s the most interesting project from all other similar projects. I will take a look to the code to learn more :slight_smile:

Yes I agree, the community is unlike anything I’ve ever seen.
Your questions are spot on, imho. Have fun digging deeper :construction_worker_woman:t5::flashlight::pick::star_struck:

The client (I think it’s the authenticator now?) is what self-encrypts (hashes and splits) the data with two private keys in the first place, so only the client which has the keys will be able to find the chunks on the network and put them back together.
I assume that also goes for the second round of encryption that @neo has mentioned?

edit
Btw I’ve just discovered this.

2 Likes

I am juat saying that anyone can access safe net with a client, so no one should feel outside of the network. This is the same for BitTorrent too.

2 Likes

I think you are mistaken.

The use of self-encryption eliminates the need for keys to be kept by the client. Public and private immutable data is self-encrypted the same way and there is no difference. The data map for files is a list of chunk addresses and since the data is self encrypted the “keys” are derived from the datamap and data.

The difference between private and public data is that for private data only you hold the data and for public data the data map is in a publicly searchable store. For private files you can give the data map to whom you please then they too can read the file.

The client uses the data map to decrypt the file as it is read from the network.

Anyone with the data map can read the file. No need to give out your keys or anything like that. Just the datamap.

3 Likes

I meant the keys that encrypt/ decrypt the map. You need them to decrypt everything else that is not public, right?
I thought the data map was also self encrypted and stored on the network?

But thats very old Information from the videos, has it changed?

Its stored in a MD from memory and can be encrypted with what I assume would be your ID keys. Then when you share the datamap you simply copy it to another MD with a key provided by the receiver (their public ID key) and they can decode it with their private key. Just like what was done with your datamap.

Been told that the datamap is chunked and a datamap of it is done till the datamap can fit into 1MByte space.

I said MD above but you could use just as easily a immutable chunk too. Then basically your file is pointed to by an address which holds a datamap which may also of necessity be a datamap too if the file is big.

The other method of encrypting the datamap is simply to ensure it is over 3KBytes in size and self encrypt it into 3 chunks and you simply have the 3 chunk addresses as the file location and then its all encrypted with self-encryption and without the 3 address in order the file is unreadable.

4 Likes