Can I play around with a safe network testnet?

and if you get that far can you run these commands please - I’m looking at another potential issue/unexpected behavior

safe keys show --show-sk
safe keys balance

I think I should see a value like 770.0000 for that last command, right now I am getting a zero balance so Im wondering if I have done something wrong or the bump in sn_authd to 0.7.3 has broken something else? I had this kinda working earlier though

Hah, your tadpoles got lost but lucky for you I found them at 2:37 in that OJ video. You’re welcome. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Yay - auth create is working now with 0.42.2

but:

user@user:~$ safe keys show --show-sk
No SafeKey found at /home/user/.safe/cli/credentials
3 Likes

My favourite bit is at 2:57 where Zeke smashes the teacups.
Zeke had stayed in our flat for the previous couple of years and was very fine chap indeed. Originally from Rhodesia (as it was) he found life in Glasgow as an itinerant muso and part-time student much more conducive to his inner serenity than doing what he was born to - Son#1 to the chief of the Manyika tribe and now part of the new Zimbabwean government. A series of very official looking letters from the new Zimbabwean Embassy in London started dropping through the letter box as well as the usual letters from Zekes mum. The gist of it was that Zeke would return and fulfill his tribal duties or the first thing that would happen was Zekes pocket money from back home would cease immediately. This was a crisis for ALL inhabitants as it wasnt the first time we needed that dosh to feed us all. Then two very large chaps from the Zimbabwean Embassy turned up looking for Zeke. We thought it was the drug squad getting creative so we told them to go elsewhere and procreate. So they came back the next day when Zeke was in. We tried to reason with them and chill them out but that failed cos they politely explained that they could get far better dagga at home. So eventually poor Zeke had to make plans to return home. A Goodbye Zeke party was immediately arranged. Then Zeke won a stay of execution so we had another party. And then another. Rinse and repeat for a few months with regular Going Away parties for Zeke. Memories vary as it was a very hazy time but at least five separate parties took place. Finally it could be put off no longer and we all accompanied Zeke to the train to go to London and pick up his tickets for home. Getting on the same train was Edwyn Collins and wee Davy McClymont from Orange Juice on the way down to do some recording.
Next thing we knew, Zeke is on TOTP with OJ having suddenly become the drummer. Once he got some ££ for that, any question of going back to Zimbabwe was out the window :slight_smile: He came back to Glasgow reasonably often (another excuse for a party) but the last time I talked to him he still hadnt gone home :slight_smile:

3 Likes

0.42.2 ?!?! You are doing this deliberately to confuse me here.

Yeah I saw this too.

oops getting ahead of myself 0.41.2

Great story btw.

1 Like

Here you go. Old i7, Linux mint on a USB stick

Summary

user@user:~/safe$ ./southside
output files will be written to /tmp/std-file-upload-tests-02
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 385M 100 385M 0 0 2677k 0 0:02:27 0:02:27 --:–:-- 1045k
processing a 5MB standard testfile

real 0m51.593s
user 0m3.637s
sys 0m0.494s
FilesContainer created at: “safe://hyryyrbcckepq5iuyqkdpss4dtjfuph9otbq3zuy31b6dsffmrfj3y53ijynra”

• md5-5MB.txt safe://hy8oycyqefc6jwd3kgyxdp1hiut51defj48ftk9pcb85frazdb9bqwig7by
    processing a 10MB standard testfile

real 2m12.345s
user 0m8.098s
sys 0m1.133s
FilesContainer created at: “safe://hyryyrbmqu9ykfsjbuf8mf3wxs3o64apakz8nw6w5gturrhr5ye1ey5fkphnra”

• md5-10MB.txt safe://hy8oycyqmhjxdgx4togmkebugoy7sy9kqf37qqgrruhm9u4jsbfhas8budh
    processing a 20MB standard testfile

real 3m8.692s
user 0m17.123s
sys 0m2.131s
FilesContainer created at: “safe://hyryyrbqf9bho9tqzz17mbsqd8synbeiikcas9amg5f3m4hsfyyff9jms6ynra”

• md5-20MB.txt safe://hy8oycyekpn1h3d7yig9g5j4fr5hxq35e3kjkm9qs48p3zbwhhm4m6na8ye
    hyfenrym6m19mkdjperroq88n14mkpbemyatwsxehwdrc6rhnqpcemeud3y
    hyfenrykcrjmkk78txsiep9zzh9a6ah5jgccjuo8g9yeicjkimwsp8hc31o
    hyfenryxon8oeymwyeeau8cgt3nj5u1g9psuzqojthz5n4pmz95jxxg93uh
1 Like

Thats a LOT faster than I was getting – thank you
If you want to get bold you could change line 48 of that script so the some or all of the larger files get tested as well

for i in 5MB 10MB 20MB #50MB 100MB 200MB #commented out for speed up dev and test

Next step is to GET the files from the XORURLs and compare the checksums - just for the correctness of it… then see what the download speed is

Once we get a proper testnet up and we get several folk all uploading these files we will see what the benefits of deduplication are. But I need to clean up the script first to make it more attractive for folks to run.

1 Like

Fantastic story, go Zeke!

1 Like

No the thing was - Zeke didn’t want to go :slight_smile:

Yep, and he didn’t.

1 Like

Anyway - if your bilge crisis has abated somewhat , can I persuade you to look at that script?
The hassle with sfe keys show balance not behaving as expected has scuppered my plans to check how many coins got used for each run of this test.

OPEN_BALANCE=`safe keys balance| tail -c13

do puts n stuff
CLOSE_BALANCE=safe keys balance|tail -c13

echo "cost of storage was " $(($OPEN_BALANCE-$CLOSE_BALANCE))      

I have the syntax wrong on that last line but I cant see what I have done wrong and now I can’t test it.

50MB and 100MB. Didn’t try 200 as my USB is filling up and the CPU was getting agitated.

Now to try downloading and checksums.

Summary

user@user:~/safe$ ./southside
output files will be written to /tmp/std-file-upload-tests-02
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 385M 100 385M 0 0 2636k 0 0:02:29 0:02:29 --:–:-- 2924k
processing a 50MB standard testfile

real 9m46.793s
user 1m2.401s
sys 0m7.662s
FilesContainer created at: “safe://hyryyrbeqfjxe48yo95w9z9art8diybh4jm51f39ym13k9bk4jpq4f8mwqwnra”

• md5-50MB.txt safe://hy8oycye9gnrf8xiy1id9eiykbrwfjo5yh7i4my6dn6mzawhu567sstkhzy
    processing a 100MB standard testfile

real 17m5.389s
user 3m1.539s
sys 0m16.401s
FilesContainer created at: “safe://hyryyrbcpqiywmdkzn94whmy99xpnpryi6fabx813xttjco5eaxjbkrktshnra”

• md5-100MB.txt safe://hy8oycyq4s1tqzen58p9acefctzqt1k4xqgz9tepyr1dkxzr9q6d9geccoc
    hyfenrypeas11rj15cf3bxd9wopek14kk175d6665yadjoy8gphe6utp5er
    hyfenryk5iwnsajkkxnh8gqii7txkg5n394gem8dujpiy51nbagdkae196o
1 Like

Sorry, I’m have a creative break and drinking nice wine waiting for my boat to sink.

Will be up late tonight watching The Killing which the BBC are gradually making later each week thinking that it will make me use iPlayer, but no.

So no promises, John is your man though. He’s more dedicated than me.

2 Likes

Slight problem - I can’t see the zip files there, only the checksums. :thinking:

No the actual test files will be at the xorurls that are written to safe-xorurl.txt

I should suppress that message

• md5-10MB.txt safe://hy8oycyqmhjxdgx4togmkebugoy7sy9kqf37qqgrruhm9u4jsbfhas8budh

It’s a conspiracy! Sooner or later you’ll be too tired to steer your boat and it will just look like a terrible accident.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I feel like I’m steering that boat trying to download these files…

So here’s the container for the 5MP file

user@user:~/safe$ safe cat safe://hyryyrbcckepq5iuyqkdpss4dtjfuph9otbq3zuy31b6dsffmrfj3y53ijynra
Files of FilesContainer (version 0) at "safe://hyryyrbcckepq5iuyqkdpss4dtjfuph9otbq3zuy31b6dsffmrfj3y53ijynra":
+--------------+------------+------+----------------------+----------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| Name         | Type       | Size | Created              | Modified             | Link                                                               |
+--------------+------------+------+----------------------+----------------------+--------------------------------------------------------------------+
| /md5-5MB.txt | text/plain | 42   | 2021-05-08T18:34:58Z | 2021-05-08T18:34:58Z | safe://hy8oycyqefc6jwd3kgyxdp1hiut51defj48ftk9pcb85frazdb9bqwig7by |

What’s the get command from here?
(It’s been a while…)

1 Like

Sorry John, I was at my dinner…

That file you are looking at is the checksum for the 5MB.zip, you want the first xorurl in safe-xorurl.txt.
My intention was a wee script that would loop over the contents of that file and
safe files get $xorurl
so if you just feed it the first line, you shold get the 5MB testfile.

When you do, dont try to unzip it, its not a valid archive, none of them are. but if you md5sum it - it should match the contents of md5-5MB.txt