Update 09 March, 2023

So far it’s a test network, I am so involved in stable set that I have not given it too much thought in terms of how much a test it will/can be. But the team are on it and will poke everything. I hope to get head space on it soon as it’s a big consideration

16 Likes

If this goes beyond a test I also think it should be integrated, sooner than later at least. The storage network is too reliant on payments and the economic factors to not be unified but being that they are so similar anyways why wouldn’t an upgrade be possible (somewhat like the merge for ethereum) that provides more incentive to run a storage/payment node rather than just a payment node?

Since the payments network nodes store redundant copies of payment data (like the storage nodes do with other data) then wouldn’t we get the whole spentbook over to the new storage/payments nodes if a certain percentage of elders participated??

I do not see an issue with having a payments only network in the interim (if storage nodes are much further down the roadmap) as long as they can merge but then again running a long standing payments TEST network would have many of the same, if not mostly all the same benefits of a real payment network with far less risk and workaround!

So test would probably be best. @neo I think you’re right that some of us were under the impression maybe more than a test, I’ll admit I was.

2 Likes

A test to test if the test could turn into more than just a test?

6 Likes

Can we get a commitment that this is ONLY a unit test for a major part of the original vision?

2 Likes

And a test to test the community reaction to testing a test payment network :upside_down_face:

Ok enough of that. Moving on.
To me it seems clear that there is no yes or no to that question at this point.

1 Like

Yeap! I think of this like you gonna get a testnet payment network that will make payments secure where we can also test updates to the network wothout the complexity of a data network. Then if we get updates going smoothly we might add data network with an update and after continued testing there we can reach a point where the network is alive and stable. And we a soft reset of the network to test what happens with a reset we could then make an final reset and implement a simulation of emaid to testnet snt beta testnet, try some updates some scenarios of economy algos and then do a final reset with real snt!!!

2 Likes

… and breathe…

slow down FFS :slight_smile:

1 Like

For me to divert resources to make a secure permanent (till SAFE launch) payments network is to slow down development of SAFE. For one any long term real life payments system needs to be as secure as possible.

The SAFE network payments utilises the security that is there in the SAFE data network. And until the code is up to launch ability then the security cannot be relied upon since bugs are still being ironed out. So logistically to implement a real life separate payments system would require work to be done to secure a network that lacks the data and the final code security that comes with the data storage (since the release code doesn’t exist yet). By definition if you include the data then its not a payments only network.

3 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! I add the translations in the first post :dragon:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

8 Likes