Update 09 February, 2023

And relocations?

@Blindsite2k there is ageing until the node reaches the stable set. I believe age 20 was suggested as the age when a node will join the stable set. As David said once an adult reaches the stable set it is considered honest enough to not be required to jump around the network. The node is relocated this much to make a targetted attack very difficult because of the time required to get to age 20.

1 Like

As far as how the Network will function, it will make no difference, using your SNT to store data just the same.

From an administrative sense it means that, should FINMA view things differently, we have to register things in a different way, jump through a few more hoops, and it will take bit more time. All totally doable though.

But we are confident they will agree with our legal opinion, that it’s a textbook case of a utility token.

10 Likes

@dirvine What is the state of the SDK or sn_api?

3 Likes

:wink:

2 Likes

Should be fixed now. Could you take a quick look?

4 Likes

Yep :clap:t3:, I can see your bottom now :thinking:

4 Likes

I bet it has fewer barnacles than yours.

1 Like

True but gift cards are not federated network wide across an entire economic/communication network, SNT is. The issue with gift cards isn’t that they are resource based but rather they are tied to specific brands and aren’t cross compatible between stores. If I could take a gift card from one store and trade it for products at another then it would be as good as cash.

So what securities are by definition debt based currency? When trading in loans or shares that’s how debt based currency gets much of it’s value. But isn’t that the point? SAFE is a resource economy not an infinite debt economy and therefore much more stable. But just because SNT is measuring a measure of resources instead of debt that doesn’t mean it’s not a currency.

If we were talking about a barter economy and trading physical widgets instead of bank loans would it be any different? Farm goods, pottable water, lumber, minerals, land, physical goods that can be quantified, and traded but still represent definable finite resources. How is that different than the electricity and data resources of the SAFE Network that SNT measures? Yet go to any farmers market and haggle with any farmer and try to say his produce doesn’t have a price. My point is whether you’re talking digital or physical resources widgits have tradable value. If a widgit is fungible it becomes a currency. Those gift cards could become currency. Hell all paper money is are promisary notes and the only thing you need to make those is faith in the person issuing them. Wait isn’t that what a DBC is more or less? A high tech decentralized version of a promisary note to issue SNT to someone? So how is SNT not a currency?

SNT may not be a debt based security, no one is buying shares in any corporations. But why does that matter? It’s still a fungible tradable resource? Moreover as a fungible tradable resource it won’t be long until it’s loaned or borrowed like any other currency. So I’m wondering why these distinctions matter, at least from a legal standpoint. From a philosophical economic and coding stand point they matter quite a bit, the banks can go to hell and the SAFE network is fundamentally a resource economy for a reason. But what’s the point in drawing such a distinction when anything fungible and of value can be used as a currency and making a legal issue out of it?

I want you to think about something. The moment the Network launches with working DBCs and you can print off said DBCs then odds are they’ll be used as collatoral or to back loans if not traded outright. SNT can be used to store pretty much any kind of data on the network. That means it’ll be in high demand. But more importantly it’ll be anonyous, So you can trade fiat for SNT, send it to someone anonymously then buy whatever currency you want. It won’t matter it’s not a security.

So ueah I’m really not seeing why the fact it’s a token, a gift card, whatever matters vs it being a security representing debt mattters in regard to it’s utility as a currency and why it’s a legal issue if it’s debt based but not if it’s a token. But it can be traded and used as a currency either way.

A better question to answer is what boxes of the securities test does it tick?

Read this

• Investment of money? Nope it is for buying resources, no investment to be seen
  • Investment in a common enterprise? Nope not an investment in anything
  • A reasonable expectation of profit? Nope not by a reasonable person. A crypto investor is not a reasonable person for this question. Speculation in markets is not a reasonable expectation of profit. Shares on the other hand is expecting a profit derived from the efforts of the employees. (Dividends)
  • returns derived from the effort of others? Nope the node operator does their own effort, IE they earn SNT.

Its reasonably clear that SNT is not a security, but if you feel it is then I doubt I could help you see otherwise. The important people in authority will apply such tests and the SEC has already declared “in-game”/“in-network” tokens as not being securities. SNT is clearly a “in-network” token by the very definition of “in-network token” No marketing as a profit making device or even that one would get any money from selling a SNT.

Although as far as I can see your analysis would make anything a security.

5 Likes

I mean, you can use gift cards as a defacto currency. There are gift card trading platforms where you can get any number of things.

If you create a gift card for your business for a specific purpose and the customer uses it to trade for X, that’s not on the business, that’s the user. That may be a distinction that doesn’t really matter to the end user all that much, but to the business it means a lot. Being labeled a security comes with extra scrutiny and regulatory hoops that I’m sure the foundation/Maidsafe would rather not deal with if they don’t have to.

2 Likes

I think a better analogy is those amusement park coupons used as a kid.

They can only be used for the rides and entertainment within the park. Sure you can pass a few spares to your friend while you are both there, and earn some more by ringing the big bell with a mallet, but they all stay in the park and are exchanged for all the fun of the fair.

10 Likes

“CadonaCash” :slight_smile:

My kids had a stack of them that got passed about their pals whenever somebody went to the shows at Strathclyde Park

5 Likes

Your family’s the reason we all can’t have nice things.

4 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! I add the translations in the first post :dragon:

Privacy. Security. Freedom

13 Likes

This still does not make sense to me. Even if it’s subjective rather than globally objective time, that is the node measures the seconds they see another node in the network, it still requires the preverbial hourglass or some kind of measuring unit hence a timestamp. Even if the timestamp reads “Joined network for x billion seconds” instead of something rational like “Joined network for x Days, y hrs, z minutes:seconds” Even if you’re counting heartbeats and have no other measure of time you still measure the number of heartbeats and that becomes your timestamp. Which is why I struggle with the concept of nodes aging if the network has no concept of time. The network may not have any concept of OBJECTIVE time but it can certainly report subjective timestamps.

Honestly I can’t make much of what you just said but from what I can gather nodes go through a refinement process and each cycle is where they “age” which is what the network is counting. Honestly even after reading the updates and such on node aging it’s hard to keep it all straight. And then you mix in the stuff about XOR space which I still don’t really understand. I want to ask “relocated to where?” But you’re just going to answer something like “another xor location on the network” but that won’t answer much as it has as much meaning as saying “giving them another random address”.

A node will start with age 0

• after a certain “time” (set of events), lets say that is X time, it will be relocated and be age 1
  • after approx 2 * X “time” it will again be relocated and become age 2
  • after even more “time” it will again be relocated and become age 3
  • after even more “time” than before it will again be relocated and become age 4
  • and so on till age 20
  • then it will be added to a list within the section (it landed in when ageing to age 20), which is called the stable set list and remain in the section it landed in when becoming age 20
  • then as nodes further up the list leave it will be closer to the top
  • perhaps at some stage long in the future it will be in the top 7 and be chosen as an elder
1 Like

You don’t need a time stamp to tell if one node is older than another if both are in a list which is added to as each node is first seen.

It’s like a train timetable with the times removed. You know which station comes before or after each other station because they are ordered in time, even if you don’t know the times themselves.

If you are on a train, you can create this ordered list even if you don’t have a watch. You note down the stations you pass through along the way.

2 Likes

Yeah, subjective time, which is why I used the metaphor of heartbeats. You don’t know the objective time in the outside world but you can still count seconds, heatbeats, trains, nodes joining, whatever. But whatever you count it’s still a measurement of time passing. It’s no good for telling how long has passed since the Roman Empire fell but it still measures time relative to one even to the next. And much like how each safecoin has limited knowledge of it’s last owner and it’s new owner and not much else even if a node only knows how much it has counted it could probably compare notes with other nodes and gossip about the time and current events. Of course they probably don’t but it’s theoretically possible as a temporal function.

Here’s a thought for you.

7 elders (say) each of them sees different wall clock time periods between events. Many will be very much out of kilter with each others observations of the world.

So events relative to each other such as agreeing oder of first seen makes more sense.

Otherwise you have all 7 disagreeing on the exact time they seen something. Then you need some mechanism to agree was clock periods (nightmare). But does it matter? if they all say Dave joined then Mark joined, now the group is Mark and David and we don’t care what wall clock time periods existed to make that happen.

Like nature, entropy or ever changing states is normal and the whole world works that way. The wall clock time periods of “when” is of no concern to nature. The bee pollinates a flower cause it’s there, not because it was time to do so.

Hope that makes sense

tl;dr Time seems like an amazingly powerful tool, but time moves differently for us all, at different altitudes, at different viewpoints and more. What matters more is understanding entropy and working with it, regardless of time.

9 Likes