Unethical uses of the network and "safe police"

I know you don’t want to argue but don’t you like debating? I know that’s one of the things that bring me here everyday…loooove it! :heart_eyes: Please let me pick your brain a little bit more.

You say: [quote=“jreighley, post:77, topic:4020”]
the fact that they are blindfolded inherently will put them at a disadvantage against those that continuously measure and analyze every detail of every transaction for improvement.
[/quote]

and I 100% agree. But don’t you think this applies more to the current internet? They need that detail to survive in that space but is that really needed on SAFE? Couldn’t emerging apps not just continue to improve the user experience by asking for anonymous customer feedback?

I am a very detailed person. My husband on the other hand is a very high level non detailed person. We balance each other out quite well. I can see how SAFE has the potential to bring balance to the other side especially through products like search engines.

2 Likes

Law is significantly insufficient against nature. Especially as technology such as SAFE is allowing an anarchist resurgence.

Laws mandating ignorance are stupid and oppressive, and they will not work – Censorship will push more and more folks to use SAFE where their data doesn’t exist to anybody but themselves.

1 Like

I guess my point in saying “I don’t want to argue” here is that I really don’t like “spying out of control” either. But I think it is a natural result of freedom, and I don’t think you can “wish it away”. Nature is nature… Licensing something like “mandated amnesia” is oppressive, silly, and will yield less efficient markets… When you have to choose between two poison pills , one ought to select the one that doesn’t require men with guns forcing it down people’s throats.

1 Like

Can you please elaborate what you mean by this? If you do not collect the data, why would you need to forget it?

I am not a coder but is it impossible to build a search engine that can adjust to the users preference without collecting the users data? Do we really need [quote=“lowry_jim, post:46, topic:4020”]
some 1000s of sweatshop workers clicking ban 1000000s of times a day so you don’t have to tolerate the content they review showing up in your walled garden
[/quote]

or could an algorithm do this? I’m guessing that all those clicks are necessary because they are leaning on the conservative side when it comes to filtering. I’m sure a lot of that clicking is purely for the purpose of propaganda. I personal would not need that many clicks and probably wouldn’t mind doing it myself if the app made this process fast and easy for me. Maybe this app could charge based on how many filters I want with the least amount of filters being the cheapest version. This of course would push the more paranoid customer back to the ‘free’ apps on the old internet where they feel more comfortable operating. Their loss.

What does this mean exactly?

I’d say this is a good thing. :smile:

You seem to be contradicting yourself here. Laws mandating ignorance are “stupid” and “oppressive” then you go on to postulate censorship will push more people to use SAFE which is built from the ground up to have mandated ignorance of it’s users thus ensuring their privacy and freedom. In order to interact socially with other human beings you need to share information and communicate. You need to trust to some degree. The question is to what degree and is it a voluntary interaction?

Will there be any “distributed anonymous police” to prevent clearly unethical use of the network?

Can at least legitimate and bad use be separated on some level, so
that striking down unwanted elements will minimize effect to the whole
network

I think the best answer is the simplest:

NO…

2 Likes

If you do business with somebody you tend to keep accounting of your transactions. To not do so is generally bad business. You need to know who buys what from you how much how often, and at what price, or you are going to be massively disabled in being able to fulfill you customer’s needs and wants.

No business is going to intentionally choose to forget. There may be a few rare occasions where the “paranoid” market is sufficient to make it worth a companies time. (private internet access VPN for example) but in most cases it is going to require government enforcement of “remember to forget or else”

Forgetting is not natural… It is considered a defect when I call a company saying “I want a refund” for example, and they say “never heard of you, don’t know if we even sold that” It is bad business, but that is what people are asking for in a overcorrection to the privacy problem. The medicine is likely much worse than the disease…

Absolutely!

Why? Couldn’t they just be a number for your records? Please elaborate on this point.

Absolutely! You must keep track of your inventory to keep up with your customers demands.

Absolutely and not necessary for the basics that needs to be known in a business transaction IMO.

In bitcoin there is no refunds but that does not stop a customer from proving the transaction on the blockchain. Could this proof not also be provided to customers of this app by an issued confirmation number at the point of sale?

FYI - I ask these questions genuinely because I don’t know or understand the technological back ends of these inventory systems and if they can be anonymous logistically speaking

SAFE network IDs are pseudonymous (and not anonymous), just like Bitcoin addresses. That is, an ID accumulates reputation and a history over time, but isn’t necessarily publicly associated with a real world person, unless it does something that establishes such an association.

It would therefore make sense to have more than one SAFE network ID, for use in different contexts.

One for mundane, online shopping, another for buying goods on Safe Road (a SAFE version of Silk Road), another for political activity, or dating, and so on.

2 Likes

What exactly do you propose?

All I am stating is “This is the nature of how things work”

“But I don’t like it” Or “It could work without gathering THAT much data” doesn’t matter in the slightest, because facts are easy and cheap to observe, and intentionally being unobservant isn’t something that is ever going to be done voluntarily or sustainably.

So you could have men with guns impose and enforce rules. But even that won’t work once SAFE comes along because data will not exist unless somebody commands it to exist.

You could create your own service that tries to serve customers without knowing them. But marketing such and renewing product lifecycle is going to be very hard since these processes are about knowing your customers and their needs, and you cannot be good at that by being intentionally bad at that.

What do you propose?

I have no proposal just trying to increase my understanding.

Today, but how about tomorrow in the world of SAFE?

Fair point and lends to @bluebird’s point

How about we use different ID’s (like @bluebird suggested) on our end and/or we and the app uses an anonymous tracking system/blockchain like Zcash. Zcash cryptocurrency

What do you think?

Do you know if safecoins can be traced to the network ID they originated from? Are safecoins anonymous?

Not if you simply put a sign on the front counter stating “All sales are final. No refunds.” There are stores that do that you know. Just like there are stores that only accept cash.

1 Like

I don’t know the answer to that question if you mean: If you receive a payment of Safecoin, do you have any way of knowing who paid it to you if they don’t tell you?

1 Like

Yes that’s what I mean.

You will know the previous public ID, whether that was a throw away ID or not then you won’t know. So anonymous payments can be made easily as public payments (by public I mean named).

4 Likes

Yah. And customers are going to go out of their way to shop at the vendor who behaves like a crotchety old asshole when there is a perfectly friendly and fair competitor selling the same product?

It doesn’t happen. Can you name one major sustainable business that operates that way and grows to any size? It doesn’t happen. People don’t like to patronize companies like that – they line up to do business with businesses that care and take care of their customers and treat their customers are friends and important business.

1 Like

I agree but this can still be achieved with anonymity if not even better as far as I’ve learned watching this presentation:

Great video. He even mentions Maidsafe.

2 Likes

Nice vid but he is confusing Ethereum with the Safe network.

2 Likes

Yes but the point is still valid. You don’t need to know your customers to have good manners and value your customers. Treat someone you’ve known for 5 minutes as good as if you’ve known them for 5 years. Respect them, give them your attention, be polite and give prompt service. The truth is corporations don’t know a thing about their customers, they really don’t. Most of their customer relations isn’t due to knowing their customers but to extensive sets of internal manners and policy on how to treat customers. Sure you might learn x customer has y preference but by and large it’s just a script. Anyone who actually believes a company is being friendly because they’re their friend is deluding themselves. It’s a script and more to the point you’re paying for the service.

I don’t know about crotchety old men but there is a certain appeal about just being treated anonymously. Point in case the popularity of say the ATM machine. Yeah it remembers who you are but only in so much as it needs to in order to perform transactions. You enter your ID, request a withdrawl and it spits out your cash. Or what about the vending machine. That’s even more anonymous. You insert your coin, make your selection and it spits out product. There are tons of ATMs and vending machines around. Anonymous business transactions are hardly a new thing. Or what about the automated resteraunts opening up in Japan and China? Again people are going for product not so that the establishment can “get to know them.”

1 Like