Team News at MaidSafe

Main thing is, as usual, we are hiding nothing. We will launch fast, but not hiding a thing.

13 Likes

Are you saying that your principle of “not hiding anything” is what made @pierrechevalier83 and @nicklambert leave? Or are you simply stating that you are not hiding anything? In the latter case surely you could also enlighten us on what the disagreements were about, since you hide nothing, right ?

3 Likes

I’ve been following this project for a long time. Since before the ico, when we were still using Google groups forums. I haven’t always liked or agreed with every decision that’s been made (mostly agree) but I can honestly say that this team is the most open for forthcoming team with information. Both the good and the bad, and have yet to be lied to.

That’s not to say that some things don’t stay internal for a while, or maybe some nitty gritty details aren’t in the forefront, but this is a business as well as an open source project. As far as businesses go, MaidSafe is by far the most open and honest I’ve come across. Ever.

25 Likes

Let me also thank @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83 for the hard work done and I wish you the best with your future endeavors (will it be in the same ‘sector’?) !

@dugcampbell and @nadia: the best of luck with the new challenges!

13 Likes

I imagine they simply don’t want to air out personal disagreements with one another publicly, which is understandable. We gain nothing by David saying “I wanted to do it this _ this _ this _” , and ____ wanted "this __ , this ___ and this ___ " .

After all its a high stress job and I am sure everyone is opinionated on how things should be. At the end of the day hopefully they wish each other the best even when not in agreement and move forward respectably. I just wish everyone was in agreement as that obviously is a win situation, but among smart folks and strong personalities you rarely see that. And no one idea is always right, lots of ideas can meet a desired goal but at the end of the day someone has to set the direction and pace.

14 Likes

These recent departures are strange. As a business executive myself, I understand that people leave companies for various reasons. But I also know many of the specific kinds of issues that make so many key people leave in such a short time. On the normal markets, if key execs are leaving a company before an important event, more likely than not bad news are coming. That’s not necessary the case here, especially in consideration of the recent progress.

Thus the very mixed feelings. @oetyng encapsulates some of my feelings here. Why would someone like @pierrechevalier83 leave? I get it, artistic differences. What does this mean? Is it a lifestyle or control issue? Surely it can’t be technical. I really hate to see you go Pierre.

I also hope it’s not a matter of @dirvine trying to reassert total control now that a clear path has been established? (you don’t strike me as the type, but just stating one of the factors that make many people leave companies).

Bottom line, if the recent push and progress is what’s making people leave, then too bad. But in the unlikely case that it’s actually some of these people that got us on this latest path and are paying dearly for it, then that’s alarming. I don’t fully know which it is and will refrain from speculating further. The next few weeks will give us the answers in the quick progress that continues to be made or not. Concrete deliverables are all that matter in situations like these. Nothing else.

20 Likes

Sorry to hear you’ll be moving on @nicklambert. You’ve invested so much into MaidSafe over the years, and your contribution will always be foundational to what MaidSafe go on to build. It’s been a long and pressured journey, and I hope that positive memories trump any recent difficulties, and I wish you the best in whatever you move on to next.

Also a shame to see @pierrechevalier83 moving on after a short and impactful stint at MaidSafe - well done for your brilliant contributions, and I wish you the best on your next challenge.

Congratulations @dugcampbell - I’m sure you’ll do a great job taking things on where Nick left off. Definitely a capable pair of hands, and I’m excited to see what you bring.

And congrats @Nadia on your new role, and on your achievements so far at MaidSafe.

I hope that the re-formed team can quickly gel & settle, moving on from what must have been quite a challenging time relationally for many (including and especially those who have left), and I hope that those who are leaving / have left stay in touch & feel warmly towards the project & team despite disagreements.

The SafeNetwork is such important tech, needed more than ever, and I’m looking forward to seeing what the realigned team deliver in the coming months.

Well done all, and best of luck :slight_smile:

17 Likes

That is 100% what matters, who does that I do not care (I wish it was not me though, there is so much more to be done here), but that it happens, I do care and I will make it happen if I have to. The guys all were/are good folk but no project has 100% commitment and change almost never has. the vision is bigger than who says what/does what and the goal only needs clarity and direction. there are many directions, we are following one, that is about it.

More people will come and go, of that, you can be certain, are any of them bad, of course not! Does any person leaving demean them or the project, of course not. The vision is huge, the project is huge, but right now we are only at the tip of the iceberg. There is much more, more teams, more designs, more iterations etc. but lets get first things first. A decentralised secure network with data and safecoin, we go from there.

For all the people along the way, let’s thank them, they made this happen as much as those who go all the way.

31 Likes

I think I have spotted what about this that hangs up as incomplete–aside from the understandable sense of loss when such figures such as @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83 leave the scene (especially Nick).

I appreciate the honesty of saying that the departures result from differences about the best route forward, though there is no ill will. The assurance is comforting, but it also hangs a question: What route/path difference is so different that it would prompt such obviously-committed folks to leave–again, especially Nick.

I trust @dirvine, the team, the vision, the commitment, and on that basis can–if needed–let that question ride and keep rooting for the team. But I do think that a deeper understanding of the options and the specific decisions in question might help us ride past this with less confusion.

Of course, I trust @dirvine above all to decide if it’s best just left at that. If so, as I say, I’m still on board full tilt, regardless.

30 Likes

First of all Nick and Pierre thank you for all your hard work. In fact it were both David and Nick at the Max Keiser report in 2014, who made me jump ship!

Concerning the fact that David is not giving much detail on why people are leaving, to me is all very fine.

What I find truly amazing is that every time when differences make people leave the project, it goes in such a respectful and supportive manner from both sides, which in my opinion shows great management.

Maybe the reasons why Nick and Pierre are leaving, just cannot be disclosed at this point in time.

Last but not least, again thank you all for getting the project as far as this and Nick and Pierre good luck with your next venture, hope to see you around in the future!

17 Likes

True, but also true, that part always falls 100% on me while I am CEO. No slight whatsoever on anyone else. I have no issues with the team and their commitment or ability. We did need clear direction, we have that now and there have been errors, such as we always put our “best” Engineers in management and took them away from what they were great at. The remedy is solid project management and make great Engineers better Engineers, not managers of folks time. The new route, if anything tries to address that. A single direction and a single minded road to launch with RFCs and a project plan managed properly.

The measure will be deliverables, so let us see in the next few weeks more of what we have had in the last few weeks. That way we all win.

41 Likes

So sad these guys gona leave, good luck them! How many people left in the team?

6 Likes

About 40 … plus the community

16 Likes

Thank you @nicklambert and @pierrechevalier83 for all your hard work. Hopefully we’ll still see eachother on the forum or maybe @ a SAFE Network events in the future, beer owned gents.
Goodluck with your next venture legends.

Congrats to @dugcampbell and @nadia, well deserved.

It’s painfull seeing great people leave the company…

Hang in there super ants and laser focus.

Every one I introduced to the SAFE Network, bought Maidsafecoin and can’t wait for the launch.

15 Likes

Ugh brutal news. I mean the updates have been solid the last couple weeks but I can’t help but wonder if the project is being rushed to the finish line. I mean Nick has been level headed in every post, article and video that I’ve seen. He’s grinded out a majority of Maidsafe’s gut-wrenching R&D years. So why in the world would he wanna leave now?? When everything looks like it’s coming together. I’m excited to have the deliverables but I’d certainly be in favor of waiting longer for network launch if that means the network is 100% secure. I’m sure that it’s not a popular opinion but I’ve always liked the put your head down and grind approach without worrying what the world is saying. What’s that old saying? Measure twice cut once.

5 Likes

Wow, Just got here to the forum and saw this sad news. It is always sad to see respected members of the team leaving and especially these two.

Changes in direction, especially from one with a high component of R&D to production mode brings with it a change in job requirements and flavour of the job. Thus it was expected that one or more people may prefer the R&D style of work and decide to look elsewhere.

I am going to be honest here, I am never surprised when a team member decides to leave. It is obvious they made a decision not based on bad blood or pending doom since they are remaining there for so long. Having been in R&D teams in the past for many years this is typical for a reasonably sized team such as this. One of the projects I was the 2nd team leader and I too left for personal reasons and remained till the initial R&D project was completed and documented.

Having experience in R&D myself, this flurry of resignations and retrenchments is not unexpected. The worse is the stories we all make up in our minds as to the real reasons for them and usually the actual reasons are more dreary and less remarkable. Because there is no rush by any of the people resigning to get out of there suggests that this is par of the course and that our imaginations about the reasons are unfounded.

@nicklambert you have always been the gentleman, both supportive and approachable. A man of honour and charitable all the time I’ve known you. I was actually wondering if you were going to move onto other pastures when reading about Viv leaving, but hoped that you would not be. Reason I thought it though was that I know working 7.5 years in the next to top position (we both know its the most important one though) must have started to seem like being an actor in the movie “Ground Hog Day”

I hope Nick that you find fulfilling work in the next job you move onto and enjoy it as much or more than you enjoyed your job at Maidsafe.

@pierrechevalier83, while I had little interaction with you, you had my utmost respect for your abilities and being able to help so many people understand what PARSEC among other things was all about. You will also be sorely missed and I hope you find a job that fulfills and satisfies you as much or more as your position here did before the changes in direction.

Nick (@nicklambert) and Pierre (@pierrechevalier83) you both will be missed from the development team and we will also miss hearing about your exploits in the weekly updates. Please keep in touch with the community as all the current members of the community will remember you both with fond memories.

48 Likes

Arriving late to this goodbye party! … All the great bits have been said … what’s left?

@nicklambert - only had a few small convo’s with you over the years, and they were always good. You’re a good guy and things are always going to go well for someone like you who puts their best foot forward. No luck needed.

@pierrechevalier83, my take on you is that you’re some sort of super maths genius! … especially in the crypto-space. If you don’t end up creating your own crypto company … well I suspect that you could probably pull six plus figures working for google or IBM. It’s been a real honor that you chose to help put that fourth wheel onto the Safe Network (PARSEC) giving it the stability it will need to go forth and prosper.

I suspect that with regards to the future of both Nick and Pierre, there are going to be huge opportunities for them with the Safe Network down the track (if not immediately) in the building of new companies and apps for the network - should they so desire!

Thanks for all your efforts guys,

To infinity and beyond! :wink:

25 Likes

I have not had much interaction with any of the persons involved, but more than once I have been amazed by the clarity an calmness of the respones @pierrechevalier83 have written here in the Forum.

Sad to see good folks leaving. I wish all the best for all of them.

And I wish strength and courage to @dirvine too. It’s not an easy position to be in.

23 Likes

Agreed, but hopefully he would not go to a dinosaur like IBM :laughing: . FAANG would certainly pick him up for six figures though if he is not making that kinda income already :+1: . Hope he comes around from time to time to offer suggestions or review some of what MaidSafe cooks out in the PARSEC improvements/ideas. I have enjoyed watching his presentations and interviews, very professional and knowledgeable.

11 Likes

Not just this forum. He’s been an absolute saint and totally engaged.

7 Likes