SAFEBook - Social Network

This has to be done. I think I may have a concept that can evolve into a solution.

Some context.

I was working on a variation of a social network that operated through email with a micropayment system built in with goldbacked digital currency. I had problems with the developer I was working with (and his server: we lost the code) and had to start from scratch. Cut my loses at that point and my life took a slight change with my wife pregnant and then the birth of my first child.

The problems trying to be solved (user privacy, data ownership, brand infiltration in ones digital space, user security, increasing surveillance, increasing centralization of user data, monopolies on payment
systems to mention a few) I couldn’t get out of my mind. This forced me to re-conceptualize the model.

6 months ago I started exploring the possibilities of building onto the bitcoin blockchain and also ethereum. I was looking at using the ID3 project and Open Mustard Seed that came out of MIT media lab and it looked promising however I had some doubts about governance.

Although not devoting much time to it because of family and work commitments it has been hanging around in my thoughts incessantly. I came across Maidsafe 5 weeks ago and it just intuitively felt like a perfect fit. I have been exploring on git and looking at how it will piece together. It has definitely reinvigorated my passion and enthusiasm.

Without going into detail I will share some basic premises and will create a separate project on here soon with a working title “datame” the social data wallet.

The concept would involve a profile that can be shared and connected to. You would have similar features to fb except you own and control your data and content, it is private and just isolated to your network and the software when you give permissions.

There was mention previously in this thread about importing data. I know facebook offers a feature to down load your data as JSON format but pretty sure it is against the data use policy, may have to explore further. Also google take out?

The key is that the data you accumulate through your use of the application can be categorized and also visualized by the user for personal interest into ones own behaviour. Your data can also be sold in a market. Lots of brands are interested in consumer information as are other organisations. So you have individual data and groups of individuals with similar categories of structured fielded data. This data can be pooled up with other people that have similar demographic and psychographic characteristics and sold as a depersonalized aggregated dataset. It can be sold multiple times to multiple buyers. Ideally transactions will be done through safecoin and possibly bitcoin. A marketplace for personal data, a currency in itself.

In addition to this I would like to integrate a way to allow users to browse websites from their profile and store metadata about web visits, searches, timestamp, visit duration, type of site, search history, keywords etc. Having it connected with a mobile app that can track and store metadata on location and aforementioned metadata about browsing history along with facilitating all features of social network. In essence I want to create an application that tracks you, provided you accept and want this, having the choice to switch certain features on and off. The big brother that you control. Secure, private. Shared data with whom you want, when you want.

A market for sharing of individual data and a market for sharing or selling of collective data.

I have been mapping it out and getting some feedback from friends, people in business I know and people I know within the bitcoin community here where I am in Sydney. Generally all very positive. Now create a system for people to accumulate, own, share and sell their data and the ramifications are very significant.

This would necessitate the building of further awareness in the market of MaidSafe as it is integral to the vision.

Now all this sounds a little fluffy and no doubt some of it is at this stage but I am determined to make it happen. Just finished a meeting with a developer who I am hiring to help with project specifications and requirements. I will keep updating on project as it progresses and look forward to any contributions from users on here who seem to be very enthusiastic about MaidSafe and the myriad possibilities.

4 Likes