SAFE Network Fundamentals: Context

Hey all, excellent and helpful post, I have a small question maybe someone can help with: what will this ‘connecting directly’ look like on the network? What info will Alison and Bobby need about each other to get going sharing files freely? Maybe it depends entirely on the software they’ve downloaded to transfer files… If so what is the minimum info that would be required? Or are the answers obvious and I’m showing my ignorance :slight_smile: thanks!

I had seen this direct messages being free thing mentioned, but had in no way grasped what was being implied. The ramifications for the sharing of knowledge/ideas make me practically giddy. Again, amazing work you people are doing.

4 Likes

It is something like this. You can create an account without Safecoin, but it isn’t committed to the network - it exists temporarily to allow you some time to deposit Safecoin into it.

If you deposit Safecoin, that is used to pay for the account to be created on the network, if the grace period expires first the account will disappear.

For clarification, point of entry to have an account on SAFEnet would be to have a friend that donates you safecoin or to buy from an exchange (kyc etc) ? And there is a time limit so exchanges should be set up beforehand?

You will also be able to farm without an account. I’m not sure how that works, but you will be able to have a wallet address without an account and then add the wallet to your account to open it.

3 Likes

Absolutely as a wallet address is just an ed2559 signing key and the API will allow you to create these.

6 Likes

This is good news. A little point but it does add a little barrier to point of entry though. For me personally, i can handle that, but my brother for example :joy:

1 Like

I am fairly certain there will be app level functionality to make this seem pretty transparent. Also things like faucets that only allow 1 coin per IP or similar can happen when the time is right. Then things like every twitter user that has been on twitter for X period gets one and so on. (twitter/facebook etc.)

2 Likes

How is this allocated? I don’t see that in the SAFECOIN section of the “Fundamentals”.

Does this mean app developers will earn safecoins and then will have to distribute them to get people to be able to use their app? If so, would this not require some initial investment on the devs part?

They would need each others IP address to enable direct connections @JayBird.

1 Like

It is an idea that could be allocated in many ways. People could contribute safecoin to such a scheme etc.

It is not a network fundamental by any means it is just ideas for initial engagement/traction. Like a bitcoin faucet way back, not part of the whitepaper etc.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. It seems the “schemes” would then be dependent on community participation who would at that point hold safecoin AND would be willing to donate safecoin to increase chances of safenet success. Interested in seeing these ideas when the time arises. Thanks much.

2 Likes

Sounds promising for hardware wallets

2 Likes

No comment on these 2 apparent typos or is that the way it will be? Especially the “presence” rather than what I consider it should be “spending”

3 Likes

I am somewhat confused about #11.

But then, in response to

Nick said

Could someone explain this to me. I see a contradiction.

Perhaps there are no “hops” in direct connections?
But what if I was in a different group?
Is it that once the direct connection is made it is then that the ip address is revealed?
Is it technically possible to have a “pure” direct connection?

Please forgive my ignorance and perhaps silly question.

2 Likes

Is this a fairly fundamental part of how the network is set up? I guess it would be the default in a way, and in one sense it doesn’t have to make any difference either way, but I can certainly see some advantages in linking a client account with the ability to farm.

Just to follow a train of thought, over on the Safecoin algorithm thread Mav suggested (and I agree) that inclusivity and maintaining decentralisation are two key goals of the network, and these could potentially be endangered by ‘professionalisation’ of farming.

If a client account could be verified by verifiably human browsing(!?), (this verification need never leave the user’s machine,) this could perhaps authorise them to farm a certain number of vaults. I know there’s an old old thread about proof of unique human, and it certainly has some scary connotations, but in the above context needn’t be so, and also need only really be resilient to large scale abuse, a bit like the current invitation system to use Alpha 2. Not particularly easy technically I imagine, but we’re moving into an age where this sort of thing is more and more normal and possible.

To look at it from an economic and social point of view, I’ve always thought one of the failings of market theory in terms of happiness of the population is the way it separates consumers and producers into two separate groups, when in fact we’re all just the same people wearing different hats. It would be nice to make that link again in order to create a better functioning community. A network by the people, for the people!

This could also have benefits in terms of marketing if it was a very normal thing for those using the network as consumers to be the ones who have access to setting up a vault (I know this will be the case anyway, but would just take it a step further in people’s consciousness.) If the only qualification you needed for a part time job was to browse the internet for a while - Hello Young People!

Sorry if this is a bit of a ramble, and not particularly well phrased (I’m in a bit of a rush), but just thought I’d put it out there as a thought…

1 Like

That’s correct, direct connections don’t require hops on the SAFE Network. Conversely, if you are messaging a SAFE public ID, for example, then that is something that would require hops as it would be an indirect connection that passes through other network groups.

8 Likes

I think this topic/thread should be pinned to the top of a category so it isn’t missed by any newcomers.

Maybe you could compile a list of topics (+ small descr) that newcomers should read, like this one and the make a topic and 10 key facts and the primer and …

Then we can pin that to the beginners category

2 Likes

Maybe I’m just oblivious but I haven’t seen an FAQ section around here. Could help with entry and community workload.

There’s one on the SAFE Network site Safe Network

2 Likes