SAFE Network Dev Update - November 7, 2019

Forgot to say one of the most important things:
It is being said that @anon94252342 has insider information, but from 7 days ago this was said:

When I read that, I was thinking: “who is management, who is not engineering?” I came to about the same conclusions as @anon94252342 did, when he said

But he was called out as someone having insider information. I don’t think it’s fair, because I came to the same conclusions by just reading the original post.
And after that it’s just being perpetuated without further thought.

And don’t even go there thinking I would give it because 1. Just no. and 2. I’m a bloody intelligent guy, and I would keep my mouth shut if I had. I just have a very strong sense of keeping things straight.

That highlow guy on the other hand, I feel a bit different about.

Edit: I just think it’s important to save the powder for the real threats, and not get tripped up by some imagined stuff.

13 Likes

With a bit of luck, any source is no longer there.

2 Likes

Perhaps stop indulging @anon94252342 so much??? Don’t think he is a malicious actor either, just his low context/direct manner of inquisition and communication can be easily misinterpreted on a forum.

6 Likes

Yes not a malicious actor as such. Has done malicious things for trading purposes, but overall not a malicious actor. But ignoring the changed/reduced financial situation then saying people are leaving in droves because the project is failing was malicious because it was deliberate misrepresentation of the facts he was already aware of. But that was not from being a malicious actor, but not a thoughtful person who cannot see this is a difficult time for all involved and was only concerned for his holdings.

Also prying into the devs private comings and goings also does not show a person with good intentions. But not necessarily malicious.

I have tried to educate him the way to get good answers to his concerns is to ask as a decent person and not in a accusing manner.

6 Likes

I mean… I could almost go as far as saying this guy can have a condition. There are people who have a very hard time not focusing on the negative stuff. They are depressed or having some kind of psychological condition.

This guy most of all strikes me as someone who simple has a very hard time to keep anxiety at bay. And he comes here to express it, he’s calling out for someone to say something that might make him feel better. He might be lonely. I just don’t sense that master-mind destructive thing going on here. So, that’s why I’m quite apprehensive here and I don’t want people to go too far on it.

Just leave this alone, treat this guy as a very worried person, and don’t beat him up.

5 Likes

Yes we have that condition here in Australia too. Its called being a dickhead

5 Likes

Would like to draw your attention to Members · People · maidsafe · GitHub

2 Likes

I’m not saying you’re wrong. Confused people are quite dickheadish in their whereabouts…
And we do get rid of him by treating him as if he were (he asked to get his account removed, he obviously felt quite disturbed by this ordeal).

But it’s not really doing us well when that’s not exactly what it’s about.
He causes harm, yes, but there are ways to get him on board by just recognizing that he’s needing assurances more than others do.

Someone who’s intentionally causing damage, for personal gain or what ever, would not be possible to get on board in that same way. People who intentionally seek to harm this project or community, I have no problem they are put out like bugs immediately. Mostly because there is hardly any way to reach out to them. They need to be squashed or it just spreads and there’s no way to recover.

This guys is not that. Not to the best of my perceptions at least.

It might be OK to remove his account because of his difficulties to keep his anxieties in check, but I don’t think it’s OK to label him with things that are not true.

5 Likes

I’ll have to go check out the project board but just throwing out this question while it’s fresh. So an app will be able to create a custom container and name it, will the app be able to make the container either public or private? The previous containers were all encrypted by a master key besides public if I remember correctly which was good for some purposes but this new approach sounds more organized and flexible for an app.

This is exciting, I’ve wondered when this was coming along :smiley:

3 Likes

There’s still design and discussion going on here. But the idea is that “deleting an app” would not touch the data at all, just remove the app. Removing the app is more or less about removing its permissions.
I think it’s a trivial thing fundamentally to separate data and permissions, but the devil is in the details and it has to be nailed down with a specific pattern.

7 Likes

I was watching this list if they are The only MaidSafe members, but it looks like not accurate. Like not only that Sharon is not there, but few more developers deos not match. I do not remember if that list was accurate before November as well.

1 Like

To be clear I am not interested in why they are leaving, only if they are leaving, that’s all.

1 Like

I think the original update was very clear.

This was an absolute statement.

What are you going to do, post “Is X leaving?”, for each X not listed in the above? Waste of space and readers time. Dilutes the update with nonsense.

8 Likes

Resolve and commitment from an amazing community of people :clap: - Focus. Persist. Execute. Repeat.

Please reach out @JimCollinson if you wanna do some quick pair design sessions, be that in figma or screensharing via sketch etc. I’m in AEDT (Sydney) and can prob squeeze a couple hours a week to help move the needle.

6 Likes

A very kind offer, thank you!

3 Likes

@JimCollinson this blog series I’m doing has some perspective that is of relevance to these current and upcoming workstreams. Would love your input.

And a video which is part of that first post in this series https://youtu.be/bM5fbcHq3Fg -

While some of the problems I work on addressing in the work I do are not significant hindrances for a SAFE ecosystem, much of it still is important. Particularly as the the network and tech transitions to really just operating in the background.

Hit me up via DM and we can coordinate time to pair if you think it’s of value.

1 Like

I think this is a good point to keep in mind as I don’t think we talked about it specifically (cc: @lionel.faber, you are probably already considering it though), but as @Nigel says we had public and private containers in alpha2, so it’s a matter of also make this part of the arguments the app provides when requesting permissions for access/creation of named containers, and it sounds like we’ll eventually may want to allow apps to publish a private container but that sounds like not a high priority thing to me.

2 Likes

I don’t know about the rest of the community out there … but this update is SHOCKING! I am personally SHOCKED! Unbelievably SHOCKED … to the core!

How could the team , after ALL the turmoil that’s been going on, possibly …

HAVE ACHIEVED SO MUCH!!!

Amazing! Shocking! Truly! Over bloody 9000! … It’s … it’s just impossible!

Keep up the amazing work! … Blowing me away.

17 Likes

If the app was storing data as MD (which is now encrypted private data) then I think things would function just fine and the same but it’d be nice and comfort a user to know the container itself is private. Might be more reasons than I can think of off the top of my head why Both public and private containers would be better. In time. Thanks for the considerations fellas!

3 Likes

Thanks for the update Maidsafe devs…

This maybe worth giving a look at this self replicating autonomous entity.

:clap::clap::clap: @maidsafe @mav

Cheers & keep going super ants
:stuck_out_tongue:

9 Likes