SAFE Network Dev Update - July 23, 2020

i mean it hasn’t opened at all, period. Like hours after I tried launching it. No splash screen, no error messsages, no nothing, zip, nada.

2 Likes

It may help u

3 Likes

Do you run testnets with your nodes attached to the rust-lldb debugger (and debug build)? (I know the performance would be degraded) but if the application is crashing I have found sometimes it can provide extremely valuable information.

3 Likes

We use heaptrace here to track any memory issues. We did find 2 hot spots and are looking into that right now.

15 Likes

:+1: It’s a useful tool, but you have an advantage of many nodes and they are crashing, so if the debugger is attached you’ll have a high chance of the allocation causing the OOM to be where the debugger catches the exact action of code.

Heaptrace is useful for a general area but can still make tracking down what’s causing the allocations to be difficult.

Just saying might be an idea to run the next testnet with the debugger attached, it could save you some time, and only takes 30 seconds to setup.

15 Likes

Heaptrack has a top down view that helps us identify the exact point of the memory leak as well :slight_smile:
It has led us to the exact function where it is happening. Looking at the code the reason behind the leak isn’t obvious so we are looking at some of our dependencies (and the way we use them) to identify where the leak happens.

21 Likes

There’s an issue on windows for some folk: The safe browser doesnt open for me on windows 10 - #59 by joshuef

It’s not clear why it’s happening as yet. Please have a read through there and fire in any logs/info you can :bowing_man:

Also please be sure you have the auth daemon installed (via cli: safe auth install).

9 Likes

11 posts were split to a new topic: CCP vs HK politics

epic. very cool

5 Likes

Any tips about how to trigger the high memory usage? I’ve been trying to reproduce this with vault v0.25.1 but no luck so far.

5 Likes

This was reproducible from test network.
So,

safe vault run-baby-fleming -t

On Linux Mint without putting data and just creating an account, it maxed out x4 i3 CPUs and chewed through 14of16GB… watch the system monitor and it’s obvious as .1% of memory disappearing every 4/5secs. That’s my memory of it…

see [Status: offline] SAFE Network Testnet - Vaults from home with IGD - Iteration 2 - #129 by davidpbrown

reducing the logs had no effect but can be done with

$ export RUST_LOG=safe=trace

5 Likes

Thank you for the heavy work team MaidSafe! Together we will make the Internet what it might have been!
:thankyou:

I add the translation into Bulgarian in the first post :dragon:

3 Likes

Heavy churn with the lots of data already in the network triggered the OOM killer. It isn’t easy to reproduce took about 12+ hours to reproduce it in an internal testnet.

11 Likes

That’s curious… seemed to trigger almost from the start on my test networks, with no data and simple account creation… wondering if it’s mine was resource limited to just i3 and all vaults on the same external SSD3.0 that in some way forces a problem for i/o. Disclaimer I know nothing !

Is it possible to query memory on what is filling it up??

4 Likes