SAFE Network Dev Update - February 7, 2019

Okay, this update is dividing me emotionally. There are some really exciting things in it but also some things that concern me. Let me iterate through these:

Very delighted to hear that! Also very exciting to hear that you have found a solution to potentially make PARSEC fully asynchronous. :slight_smile:

Maybe it’s just me but as an excited +3 year follower, after many emotionally ups and downs I currently feel a little bit confused and lost on what’s left to be done in terms of really huge unknown problems to solve. I think this comes mainly because of phrases like these, that might stir up wrong expectations (from the introduction post of PARSEC):

Maybe let’s analyze the big milestones, mentioned on the safenetwork.tech timeline:

• Integration of PARSEC in a dynamic permissionless network
  • Introduction of Disjoint groups with secure message relay
  • Enabling disjoint groups to merge and split whilst maintaining consensus
  • Secure Message Relay
  • Integration with SOLID

Is this a complete list of major items that need to be finished in order to launch FLEMING and if so, what is the level of “unknownness” of these items?

The second part that concerns me is the somehow heated discussion about Appendable data. I have the feeling that we decide here on very big structural changes although we have very little insight in how the network evolves once it is launched and how it will be getting used. Even if you include the community here on this, we are still a very small group right? As an alternative way I would suggest the following path:

1. Put all resources behind launching a first iteration of the network
  2. Once it got some traction, introduce some kind of node/user voting technique (similar to bitcoin)
  3. Let the members of the network decide on such major design changes
  4. Iterate network versions through “hard forks”

I don’t know how feasable that is but it certainly would support the decentralized paradigm which I think in the end unites us all here.

That being said…maybe after all it turns out that I’m too impatient and we’ll have a more detailed timeline soon?

Still, until then it would be very interesting to hear your thoughts on my questions / suggestions.

9 Likes