NoEncryptionNet [07/02/24 Testnet] [Offline]

We can’t rule out that downloads were actually better in terms of the system but the benefit was masked by all the uploading going on at higher rates! One of the issues that storage systems have is relative reliability and performance of writes vs reads. When a system is under pressure for both writes and reads writes have to be prioritised to get the data into the system and protected. The best option is for reads to suffer and it’s pretty normal to see this.

We might have to have ‘upload only days’, ‘download only days’ and ‘mixed workload days’ to test the relative reliability and performance. Not everyone will stick to it but if a few of the big users do we might get more of a picture.

5 Likes

Very good point. Hopefully a larger network will not have such a problem.

edit: what needs to happen though, in any case, is for any client application to allow for background downloads and uploads … so it will just keep automatically retrying until the job is done. Probably not reasonable to do that just yet during testing though.

2 Likes

This is really nice. Thank you.

2 Likes

@Zoki you son of a gun!! You can’t revive old threads of testnets like this.

I was like new testnet whooo yaaay… ah nope.

:face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Sorry about that. Haha.

Toivo pointed me here.

He’s got me thinking.

We’re probably going to need safenetwork file extension/wrappers.

If some big film producer, pixar, what ever they use… .mp4, and if they change an entry in the title credits that would incur a huge cost if that means uploading the whole thing again.

so, instead of .mp4, we get .mp4.snt that adds and optimal order of upload mapping to the end of the file? So movie and sound editors that start using safenet can cheaply store data?

Are my thoughts correct?

2 Likes

Possibly

But your apology does not contain nearly enough grovelling. :smile:

4 Likes

6 Likes

That’s better.

But you still owe @josh several beers for his emotional trauma.
Never do that kind of thing again and we’ll agree never to speak of this again.

6 Likes

Best I can offer right now is Heineken, but if we get a launch party i’ll be bringing up barrels of FRESH Youngs Origional.

4 Likes

Would you not just have a separate Meta data file containing the name? Then it won’t matter what the mp4 file is named.

2 Likes

Better idea.

Just checking your heart is still in good condition.

4 Likes