Network speed? Network data structures? Forever storage economics? Challenge-response authentication?

I wonder how this logic squares against this (figures are adjusted for ease of use):

• Availability on Day 1: 430 million SAFE coins (converted MAID that was sold for BTC and MSC)
  • Storage availability on Day 1: 4,300 TB (close to 20 PB raw, if replicas and RAID overhead is counted)
  • Current market cap (of all MAID): $8,6 million
  • On Day 1 (forget about network minting) there will be 430 million SAFE (aka $8.6 million dollars) chasing 4,300 TB of available storage space, i.e. it will take $2,000 to buy 1 TB of storage on SAFE
  • Meanwhile, 1TB HDD can be bought for $100 on Amazon.com.

So, what happens on Day 1?
How many people will upload stuff to SAFE at a price that’s order of magnitude more expensive than elsewhere?
Would that mean that MAID is today overpriced by a factor of 20x?

On Day 2, assuming SAFE doesn’t drop 95%, the network should figure out there’s no demand, so it will generate no (or will generate very few) SAFE coins.

Day 3: assuming SAFE is still expensive, more of the same.
Do farmers switch to a network that actually let’s them start earning today?
Or does the price of the coin come down 90% to make the cost of storage competitive?

Am I wrong in my assumption that 430 million SAFE will exist on Day 1?

A large (8TB) HDD can be bought at about $30/TB. If someone actually buys capacity on SAFE Network at a high price on Day 1 or Month 1, is is hard to see a situation whereby a farmer deploys a HDD for $260, gets it filled up, gets no GET requests (too expensive!) and then has to wait forever while enough new SAFE’s are minted or the price of SAFE comes down (which wouldn’t be fun for those who own MAID today, but also seems like a confusing scenario considering this graph that predicts that the value of SAFE will increase, not decrease, with time).

In my “Day 1” example above demand for space will be very low, so according to you the network should decrease payment to already starving farmers, making an already high price of capacity even higher. That’s because the network doesn’t (and can’t) know SAFE is too expensive.

I won’t go in similar detail regarding the other major issue (that farmers don’t get paid today, but after a long delay).
I just wanted to show how even simple starting conditions look weird, there are no recent (or even old - at least I couldn’t find them) details of what might happen on Day 1 (the only semi-ancient attempt can be found here, and even according to it the big issue No. 1 is whether the 430 mil MAID will be turned into SAFE on Day 1)

As usual, the Liking Team gave you 6 likes, so you’re winning despite content-thin comments that mix up the buyer and seller (i.e. you seem to assume that the selling of capacity for SAFE tokens done by the network equals “earning” of revenue accomplished by the farmer).

1 Like