MaidSafe Dev Update :safe: 8th December 2015

Does it have to be an extension. Couldn´t it be a prefix? safe.artiscience

1 Like

Or http://safe:seneca?

1 Like

If there’s one aspect I may mainly talk about (though I might be missing something presently regarding all the other eventually just-as-exciting facets of the network), I’m really excited about updated documentation. It’ll be fun having more-real, newly tangible material to discuss, among those willing to think and not indiscriminately type so many words about undocumented issues (which immediately leads to subjective, or off-topic at best, thinking). Marvelous to think about it being accessible/available this month, if it indeed gets finished by then (which I feel like it probably could be). Knowing that everyone involved has realistic outlooks (brief e.g.: the safe extension considerations) is always a welcoming commodity within any forum. In short: yay; also, Nick Lambert. (I just saw his post, about documentation not superseding everything else, which is of course, good.)

6 Likes

The browser plugin can offer an option on each tab ? A on/off switch to browse in Internet or in Safe ?

Assuming safe:// cannot be used.

Just use “.safenet” eg HTTPS://dyamanaka.safenet

Its easy to remember and still easy enough to type in. Also less likely to become a TLD since its 2 words.

OR just HTTPS://safe/your_site_name – the intercept is on the domain name being only safe, this cannot be a site on the old internet.

3 Likes

this doesn’t really make sense to me;

are we really designing our future internet solely around the browsers that are available today?

Why not do both (idk how it works), keeping in mind that the browsers in the future will adapt around this network, if it really takes off like we expect

6 Likes

When do y’all think the test network will be ready?

2 Likes

When the last line of code flows from the last devs fingertips, and the last pull request is merged, then will the test network be ready to explore.

1 Like

I understand completely why your asking, but it probably isn’t to helpful for us to make predictions at this point, they have proven to be inaccurate to this point. What we can say is that Routing is very close, we need to assess where we are with Vaults, finalise Crust and then bring it all together.

5 Likes

^December 25th launch date confirmed :smiley:

Just kidding, thank you for your patience with us. At least you know there’s an avid community, just chomping at the bit to get involved, start nodes, and spread the word of freedom to the world once it’s available :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Totally understand and to be honest we’re exactly the same, the thought of being able to start to use something we have been working on for close to 10 years is very exciting. We’ll also enjoy spreading the word with you.

7 Likes

If SAFE takes off, then it might start making sense to register the TLD. For now .safenet is less likely, but it’s there’s little incentive for anyone to apply for such a long TLD. But that can change.

1 Like

Best alternative so far. Nice one @neo!

2 Likes

My thoughts as well. It somehow feels wrong to change a technically correct and sensible format because some browsers are very restrictive in their plugin capabilities. Maybe it’s my perfectionist attitude compromising pragmatic judgement, but I’m inclined to say, let them adjust to us instead. We’ll use Firefox in the mean time.

Besides, it’s probably wise to use a separate browser installation for SAFE surfing anyway, if you care about privacy.

12 Likes

I think ease of adoption is a higher priority.

We simply must attract and retain as many users as possible because the success of the network depends on it. Then, if we succeed, we get the chance to write new standards, which I think will be more radical: our own secure SAFE OS with the SAFE Browser, that you can tell to include the old net if you really really must! :smile:

19 Likes

The ease and simplicity of the safe networks under the hood security is also a very high priority and what will help generic web surfers adopt it. If they can be easily tricked it’s not serving that purpose. I think some browsers like chrome are inherently restrictive, could change at their own whim and it’s their loss. It’s like the team would be doing them a favor, yet you have the opportunity to capture a fraction of chrome users. Pay out doesn’t way out to me personally.

1 Like

“If you build it, they will come”.

1 Like

Should we be focusing on servo, the next generation browser?

1 Like

The developers who are close to the code have a viewpoint unavailable to the all but the most intelligent and enthusiastic few. An insight, even if somewhat vague, might prove useful to those who are invested in the outcome of the project and need to make real world decisions.

I think guesstimations by those at the coalface would have real world value. Far better than a blanket ban on this sort of guess work. This information, even if it proves ultimately inaccurate, is not of zero value.

2 Likes

150% agree and applaud your delivery of this very delicate subject. People are hanging off this on a daily basis and that is pressure for the all devs. IMO the team needs to put realistic delivery window of 6-12 months. Hopefully that window can benefit you and make it easy to make your “real world decisions”. After a decade & millions $$ this team has no choice but to get it right … “You never get a second chance to make a first impression” … pressure? Yep.

1 Like