Has anyone built dns_example or safe_firefox_plugin (on Linux)

If you use mock, how you are able to run a local network with it? It’s not only to simulate but there is no connection. So how your firefox addon are able to retrieve the content you send to the dns_example?

1 Like

@smacz thanks for the update. I haven’t been able to spend any time in this lately, and won’t until at least next week unfortunately. I’ll update here when I do.

So I’d have to run vault while using mock? Or would I have to use actual routing for the libsafe_ffi.so module and run a vault…

The actual routing with some vaults with the actual routing too. Everything with the actual routing. No mock at all.

I suggest your to try again with libsafe_ffi.a if your freezing issue persist.

1 Like

Well, now I’m back to square one with using the actual routing: safe_dns_example doesn’t work.

When I run it from the distributed binary and I input the dns name, choose the templace and hit “Publish”, it freezes at

“Creating directory safe_uploader_template115924-25705-1ei7e1p”, source: /data/Represent/Decentralize/ArchitectureOfTheNet/MaidSafe/Notes/safe_dns_example-linux-x64/resources/app.asar/src/scripts/uploader.js (38)

[EDIT2:] There is no activity that is registered in either of my vault instances. (In example above and below)

When I run it from the compiled version (the one that complained about the grunt file as above - see the intro to [this] video for my lack of enthousiasm to track down the problem - I get:

/data/Represent/Decentralize/ArchitectureOfTheNet/MaidSafe/github/safe_examples/dns_example/dist/safe_dns_example-linux-x64/resources/app.asar/node_modules/ref/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:83
throw e
^
Error: Module version mismatch. Expected 44, got 14.
at Error (native)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:137:20)
at Object.module.(anonymous function) [as .node] (ATOM_SHELL_ASAR.js:148:18)
at Module.load (module.js:353:32)
at Function.Module._load (module.js:308:12)
at Module.require (module.js:363:17)
at require (module.js:382:17)
at bindings (/data/Represent/Decentralize/ArchitectureOfTheNet/MaidSafe/github/safe_examples/dns_example/dist/safe_dns_example-linux-x64/resources/app.asar/node_modules/ref/node_modules/bindings/bindings.js:76:44)
at Object. (/data/Represent/Decentralize/ArchitectureOfTheNet/MaidSafe/github/safe_examples/dns_example/dist/safe_dns_example-linux-x64/resources/app.asar/node_modules/ref/lib/ref.js:5:47)
at Module._compile (module.js:428:26)
[17385:1024/043341:INFO:CONSOLE(35)] “Child Process Aborted”, source: /data/Represent/Decentralize/ArchitectureOfTheNet/MaidSafe/github/safe_examples/dns_example/dist/safe_dns_example-linux-x64/resources/app.asar/src/scripts/safe_api/api.js (35)

[EDIT: Formatting’s a bit off, but you get the picture - “Child Process Aborted”]

So either way it doesn’t work. I’m thinking about saying screw it, build a python cli script to upload a simple static example html file. Then I don’t have to mess around with javascript shudder.

EDIT3: It gets better.

For the above I was used the vaults that I just compiled. When I used the vault binaries that were compiled by MaidSafe back in August, the upload worked! So…that’s good.

But now once I even install the addon to Firefox, it freezes on every restart. Like, I can’t do anything with it. And no error messages to speak of.

EDIT4: OMG it gets even better.

When using the addon that was compiled with mock, Firefox was able to work normally after installing it until I tried to access my dns with the safe: prefix. Then it froze. Restarting it reset it and it worked for any clearnet address right up until I tried to access my dns example with the safe: prefix then it froze again. Still no errors in the terminal to speak of.

DAE feel that my participation in this thread is equivalent to a really bad game of chutes and ladders? \s

2 Likes

Looks like we’re wasting our time without some input from MaidSafe on how they built the add-on and dns_example. :frowning:

But I do agree. Having some build environment specs would go a long way in resolving this.

1 Like