Feedback for Test 17 (internal testing)

and finally for tonight… large file upload is as good as ever.

safe://knot.prime ~20MB for speed test

4 Likes

Looking good

[quote=“happybeing, post:21, topic:14585”]
Looks nice :slight_smile: Could we reduce the amount of text? For example, instead of:
[/quote]Sounds like a good improvement

@Krishna_Kumar, I know this is not part of this test, but one thing that I hate about android is that when it shows permissions, that I cannot deselect some permissions and still run the program. For instance sometimes I want to run an APP but not allow internet access, the APP still runs fine without internet access but I have to turn off WiFi & Mobile-data to achieve this.

It would be great to be able to disable some permissions (sub-permissions), for example an APP wants to read my wallet, but I don’t want it too for this time I run it.

Can this be implemented at some stage???

[quote=“upstate, post:22, topic:14585”]
I think something different needs to be done differently with the barely visible option that toggles apps being able to re-authenticate automatically
[/quote]I didn’t even see this option. :frowning:

9 Likes

I’ve done some quick tests (on Linux Mint 18.1) and it’s looking good :grinning:

Here a One Punch clip for your entertainment: safe://onepunch.draw

Before (mock change in SAFE Browser or so), one could browse to http://urlsite in SAFE Browser itself.
Now (at least on my system) that page is opened in another browser (the default?) as http://urlsite/index.html.
That addition of /index.html doesn’t always work, e.g.: google.co.uk, facebook.com, …

And the other way around safe://urlsite in clearnet browser should automatically open in the SAFE Browser? That doesn’t work for me, at least not without a manual configuration somewhere (I haven’t looked deeper into this yet).

3 Likes

Looking good. Here’s my impression from the first five minutes of clicking mindlessly

Testing on Ubuntu 17.04

Initial window size was quite large on my monitor (2560x1440) with initial window size about 1800x1200. I’d prefer it started around 1200x800.

Landing experience is not very ‘clean’. The main content of the ‘home’ sidetab doesn’t mean much to me. Hard to say exactly but my focus was scattered between the sidebar and the main text and the address bar icons.

The error page has a typo (cant/can’t) and is kinda ugly / uninformative (reproduce by visiting safe://notasite)
This site cant be reached
ERR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED
Retry

Should be a hover title on Authenticator icon (ie the one next to the address bar).

Hover on ‘close tab’ button isn’t centered.

Clicking the Authenticator button took me to safe-auth://home/#/login but it was just a white screen, no content. To reproduce: visit safe://safeblues.jpl in first tab, then open Authenticator in a new tab. Authenticator page loaded properly when I restarted the browser.

Opening a new tab is completely white / blank (opens address beaker:start). Looks like the same issue above as opening Authenticator.

Top sidetab button (with blue SAFE network logo) does nothing when clicked. Should it?

Pressing Help opens a page in my default browser, not in SAFE browser. This should open in the safe browser.

10 Likes

That’s probably just a few libaries required for Electron apps are missing.
Please try running dnf install libXScrnSaver first and it should work. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Hmm, didn’t work for me but maybe I’m missing something. After download, precisely what did you do? I just exracted in a random location and then double clicked on the program file (ie didn’t put it on a path, didn’t run from terminal). Did you do anything different? Thanks.

1 Like

Same except I started the browser and web hosting manager from the terminal each time rather than double-clicking. Is it the authentication stage that’s failing? I have a relatively clean install on VirtualBox only really used for testing SAFE. I wonder if it’s some other process you have running that’s interfering?

Thanks - I’ll try that.
Edit - yes installing LibXScrnSaver fixed the problem.

1 Like

@happybeing, can you please run from shell terminal, and share any errors you see there? you can send them to me in a PM maybe so we don’t create too much distraction with logs/troubleshooting details here.

Yes, I started SAFE Brower, poke around, created an account. Then started WH Manager.

Ahhh, just had a thought. I’m running a VPN. Wonder if that’s it! It messes up a few things :wink:

2 Likes

Have done so no more about this on this topic unless we get a solution. It wasn’t my VPN by the way. For once :slight_smile:

SOLVED: With @bochaco’s help the issue I had was solved and could apply to any Linux Distro (and possibly Windows). It was caused by having spaces in the path to my browser location - so a workaround is to make sure there are no spaces in the path to the safe-browser executable file (including the full directory path).

Note that the same applies if apps have spaces in their path - you will see the auth request in the safe-browser, but when you ‘Allow’ it the application won’t be notified. So make sure browser and apps don’t have spaces in their path for now. Gabriel says this is likely to be fixed at some point, but assume not for the time being.

wOOt! safe://rsports is now Live! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

Oh my gawd! This thread is pure torture! :laughing: More invites plz, nao!! :smiley:

8 Likes

Yay! Glad you got it sorted! Nice work @bochaco

7 Likes

This is integrated in this PR @happybeing. Thanks for the input.

7 Likes

We had an internal discussion about the lock option on the browser. We also had the same point as you have mentioned to showcase or highlight the importance of the feature. Will definitely make it better!
Will take this up once the priority list of tasks for this week is completed.

7 Likes

The default containers are designed to be private containers, ofc other than the public container. However when the data is being saved to the mutable data, the API provides encryptKey and encryptValue functions to encrypt the key and value respectively. The encrypt keys of the mutable data are used to encrypt and decrypt.

The public names are stored as private containers in the web hosting application, where the keys and values are encrypted. For the entries in the public container the key and value is left plain. The differences between the usage is quite minimal, we will definitely come up with simpler examples to show case the same. @hunterlester’s tool will be helpful to play with the APIs and also help understand the usage too. It is also in the final stages of completion and would be made available soon.

12 Likes

We have two approaches,

1. Send the needed container access in the first authorisation request itself.
  2. other one is to send the container request as and when the access is needed. Probably this will provide the feature you are looking for. We have not tested this extensively yet, but this is certainly in the list of things to be provided.

This would be upto the apps to use it based on the requirement.

Please let me know if this is not you were looking for.

If facebook requests for gallery access and if the user denies, the app will still continue to work. I agree with the internet permission as you say.Since in our case it is more related to the container access the second option should be fine I guess. Let me know your thoughts too

8 Likes

Just to give some additional info, the current supported/tested platforms for the browser are Windows 8/10, Ubuntu 16.04(LTS), Debian 8, Fedora 25 and OS X Sierra. We’ll try and make this clear with the releases too. These are purely the versions we have the team working on and confirming with CI to chase down issues actively. While many platform variants “may” work, the degree might not be complete with the various window manager combinations and other factors that come into play( especially in linux :slight_smile: ) and we do not expect to be able to chase down bugs in these variants quickly as we’d likely be working on other features/bugs on the supported versions too. Anyone using these variants that wish to submit a PR, we’ll certainly welcome and merge and if its a small issue, we’ll try and handle it where possible. We’re also hoping to have a task to try and support some containerised binaries via docker/VM that should hopefully be able to provide the app required environment on other platform variants too but this isn’t active just yet.

16 Likes

We just invited a third batch of forum users to participate in this internal test network.

25 Likes

Don’t send me any more invites until you can support Windows XP.

6 Likes