Bitcoin block size debate exposing problem with requiring too much consensus

I think I made two pretty good posts in the past as to why increasing the blockchain size is a problem:

The biggest problem with increasing the blockchain size is that it further decreases the amount of people that can actually run a full node, and if less and less people can fun a full node, bitcoin no longer becomes decentralized, because it will only be a few people with very large servers who can run bitcoin. Don’t believe me? Check out this chart showing the number of full bitcoin nodes over the past year. The number of full nodes has decreased from 7500 to only 6000 nodes. There is even an incentive program running to help get people running a full bitcoin node! But sadly, even this hasn’t made the number of full nodes increase. I even set up a bitcoin full node on my computer, and it took a full 24 hours to download (and process)… last I checked the blockchain size was 40 GiB, that’s a lot to download.

tl;dr: The blockchain size will increase to over 1TB if they increase the transaction limit; yes, decentralized applications are hard to update; the number of full bitcoin nodes are decreasing.

2 Likes